Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 from verizon - how to find out firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 from verizon - how to find out firmware?
    Hello there cyber world,

I have a bought a brand new Verizon operated iPhone 4. Now I'm facing several problems which I try to solve step by step... ok so here we go:

The phone was send to somebody as a replacement phone so it's still in plastic with the serial number sticker on it which is completely untouched. When I turn on the phone and go through the steps of activating it, it tells me that I'm not able too do so. I get the following:

"Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes. If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support."

Ok, so I don't have a Verizon sim card in it but it does connect to my wifi at home. I do know that it runs 5.0.1 (says it on sticker on back). I also know that I need to know the firmware it's running to deter if I will be able to unlock (for Tmobile) after jailbreaking, correct? Will I need a Verizon sim card to find out what firmware it is running since I can't get to the point where I have access to settings-general-about...?

Please somebody help me out. I have researched the issue but wasn't able to find a straight simple answer to it (if that's even possible . Also to whoever is willing to help, please use "simple" terms/words.
    I'm German and some terms/words I unfortunately can't look up in the dictionary which sucks...but hey, I'm trying my best here. Promise!
    Thanks in advance

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Try restoring. Maybe it's some issue with the iPhone itself. If that doesn't work call apple support or go on they're support forums (They have apple pros on there)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If it's a Verizon iPhone 4, there's no SIM slot. You can't unlock it to use with a GSM carrier.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If it's a Verizon iPhone 4, there's no SIM slot. You can't unlock it to use with a GSM carrier.
    Yeah I had the feeling since I wasn't able to find a sim slot anywhere. So I'm probably better off selling it to somebody with a Verizon contract, correct? Just making sure...

Green Apple
    Thanks

i seen a friends verizon iphone 4s and it had a verizon sime card like att
    as far as activating it u need a valid sim/ service to do so or if you have a iphone already bakc it up and then connect your new iphone to itunes and retore it from the back up and that should work
    iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 JB

Quote Originally Posted by James Hall View Post
    i seen a friends verizon iphone 4s and it had a verizon sime card like att
    as far as activating it u need a valid sim/ service to do so or if you have a iphone already bakc it up and then connect your new iphone to itunes and retore it from the back up and that should work
    The 4S has a Verizon sim for international roaming. Otherwise it don't do squat.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    The 4S has a Verizon sim for international roaming. Otherwise it don't do squat.
    So the 4s (Verizon carrier) has a sim slot? My 4 doesn't so I won't be able to put my T-mobile sim in it unlocked or not. What about the iPhone 4 with At&t as original carrier? Sim slot, yes,no?

I'm just trying to find one that I can use in the States with T-mobile and overseas with Vodafone or O2. I have a 3gs right now but I can't turn off my roaming charges when overseas. I can't turn off that it is constantly connected to the internet even if I'm not on fb, ebay app or similar. I read that the iPhone 4 or even 4s allows me to control the usage better so I'm not online but can still receive calls etc. via regular provider network.

Does anybody know about this or can direct me to the right spot in the forum? Please...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

AT&T is a GSM carrier so yes it uses SIM cards. Some of those iPhones are unlockable for T-Mobile based on baseband version. Don't even consider using a Verizon iPhone for anything except Verizon or internationally for the 4S if you're thinking of using a SIM card carrier.