Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems in the software, or the user?

Smile Problems in the software, or the user?
    Thanks for the site! Great stuff and i'm trying to take it all in.

My question is this:
    I've been looking through the threads and I don't see any of the JB threads that don't have users screaming "I dont know what happened, now my phone is a brick.." or something like that.

Is there a general concensus that the problem lies in the software (i.e. bugs, etc..) OR in the user?

My dillema:
    My iPhone4 is coming in the mail right now from VZW. This will be my first iPhone. I am very much interested in JB'ing however I am learning Java right now, trying to become a developer, I have a family, and dont have tons of time to always be haunting these threads to find out why my iPhone is messed up all of a sudden.

Can a guy just use Redsn0w, follow the directions to a "T", donate to the software saints to developed it and bask in the glory of an untethered Jailbroken iPhone 4? I just don't have time to fool around with tweaking my phone every week. If I have to adjust this or that when apple updates the OS software I can handle that.

Any help from seasoned guys would be undeserved and greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

When Apple updates software, be prepared to jailbreak again when you decide to upgrade.

Aside from that, generally speaking most problems that occur here on MMi are user error. Sometimes it's hardware failure or a jb bug, but most of the time it's user error.

To answer your most important question: if all goes well (and to be honest it doesn't always) you can simply run Redsn0w on your device and jailbreak it. From my experience, I just jailbroke 4 devices these past three days on 5.0.1 and have run into trouble on 1 of the four, which ironically is my own phone... But anyhow 3/4 jailbroke quick and easy so I'd say you're fine unless you get unlucky. What happens sometimes is the jb tool or your device just doesn't do what it is supposed to. What is ideal to do if that occurs is to restore and redo the process. This can take about 10 minutes or so. It isn't too long really but just be prepared for that.

I'm sure all will go well if you follow directions "to the T." In fact, we are here to help you if you need it.

EDIT: download the 5.0.1 ipsw just in case. That'll save a lot of time in case you do need to restore, whether now or later on down the road. You can find it in the Downloads section here on MMi, under "Firmware."

Green Apple
    Thanks

A bit ironic you want to become a developer but don't have patience, you should look at developing from a different perspective because it is all trial and error my friend, nothing is absolute. As a suggestion, you should take the time to research on different methods that work best for you, redsn0w is not the only jail breaking tool out there. I assume you have never used an iPhone before or used a JB iPhone before. In conclusion, we are all here to help, but help comes in many forms.