Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking IPhone 4 problem 5.0

Exclamation Jailbreaking IPhone 4 problem 5.0
    I just recently got a new iphone 4 with vzw. It already has 5.0 installed. I tried to jailbreak it with redsn0w and i get a error with redsn0w saying "no identifying data fetched" ? Any ideas??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First grab your APticket with ifaith and create a signed ipsw for future restores. You probably just need to point redsn0w at the 5.0 ipsw which you will have to download before using redsn0w. You can also update to 5.0.1 after you grab your APticket and create signed ipsw for 5.0. Then just point redsn0w to the 5.0 ipsw (even if your on 5.0.1) and install cydia.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Follow these steps and to prevent being a NOOB

1. Download redsn0w 0.9.9b (mac or windows)
    2. Download 5.0 firmware; make sure it's CDMA, not GSM
    3. Update to 5.0.1
    4. run redsn0w
    5. go to extras and "manually select ISPW"; select the 5.0 firmware you just downloaded
    6. Now jailbreak; this is a tethered jailbreak. An untethered is in the horizon.

don't mess with all that iFaith crapola.

So being a tethered jailbreak means if I turn my iPhone off, it must be plugged into the computer when I turn it back on. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

That is correct.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    So being a tethered jailbreak means if I turn my iPhone off, it must be plugged into the computer when I turn it back on. Am I understanding that correctly?
    Yes, a tethered jailbreak requires you to boot up with a computer or it will loop all day. I understand the programming behind it but I can tell you that it's a pain in the *** because if your phone is turned off, it will not work until you "boot tethered" with the selected IPSW file. Redsn0w is still the best JB tool out there right now. I used quickpwn before, and I loved it, but quickpwn only works sometimes. If you want an "untethered" JB, then you need to down grade for an untethered JB. I don't downgrade from 5.0.1 because I like iMessage.

With your tethered jailbreak you can install semi-tethered from bigboss. This will help you boot your phone normally in case it's turned off but your jailbreak , tweaks, and jailbeak apps will not be available until you boot tethered using a computer. At least you can use your phone to receive/make calls

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alandalebe View Post
    With your tethered jailbreak you can install semi-tethered from bigboss. This will help you boot your phone normally in case it's turned off but your jailbreak , tweaks, and jailbeak apps will not be available until you boot tethered using a computer. At least you can use your phone to receive/make calls
    Semi-tethered is gone......

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    Google the definitions, they're all over the net......
    Last edited by vbuen323; 12-20-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vbuen323 View Post
    Semi-tethered is gone......
    make sure you have the hxxp://thebigboss.org/semitether repo added in cydia source.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alandalebe View Post
    make sure you have the hxxp://thebigboss.org/semitether repo added in cydia source.
    found it! thanks!