Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 4G's "other" files

Hello everyone
    I'm new here, and I've had this jewel of a device for about a week now. By this time, I've obviously jailbroken it with redsnow. Downloaded some apps, yada yada yada the "other" category of files is 0.97 GB. That kinda sucks, considering I have the 8 GB model (of which only 6.39 are available.
    Bottom line: what are the "other" files?

Almost forgot: my firmware is 5.0.1 if that helps with anything. Please let me know if you need to know anything else that may be important.
    Cheers!

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

All your cydia and jailbreak things that iTunes doesn't recognize so it files it under "other"

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    All your cydia and jailbreak things that iTunes doesn't recognize so it files it under "other"
    I feel like such an idiot. I had no idea that jailbreaking could take up a whole gigabyte of memory.
    Well, I guess this is the "price" I have to pay for free apps and tweaks.
    Anyway, thanks for helping a noob out! 😄

Thanks

Lol, you're not an idiot, and no problem

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

I updated both my iTunes and my iPod 4g iTouch to the latest software and now my iPod won't sync. It says that it's syncing but nothing gets transferred over. I'm getting extremely aggravated because I keep trying and nothing is syncing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Babycute View Post
    I updated both my iTunes and my iPod 4g iTouch to the latest software and now my iPod won't sync. It says that it's syncing but nothing gets transferred over. I'm getting extremely aggravated because I keep trying and nothing is syncing.
    Please start a new thread, as this is not on topic at all

Quote Originally Posted by seinfeld95 View Post
    I feel like such an idiot. I had no idea that jailbreaking could take up a whole gigabyte of memory.
    Well, I guess this is the "price" I have to pay for free apps and tweaks.
    Anyway, thanks for helping a noob out! ��
    Some of that 1gb are "extra" files that the jailbreak added to your device.
    Some are files that were already there to begin with that the jailbreak moved (for greater efficiency)
    so that iTunes labels them as "other" instead of normal system files.

If you haven't installed a lot of new JB apps, you probably only lost a few hundred megs (or less).
    The base system from Apple is already occupying a sizeable fraction of of a GB.

Try iCleaner from Cydia, it usually knocks down the other section quite a bit.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

iCleaner is proven to give you issues if you don't exactly know what you're doing, so be careful. I'd reccomend Clean Up Crap (CUC) from Cydia.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.