Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just got my 1st Gen Touch and bricked it in 5 minutes?

Default Just got my 1st Gen Touch and bricked it in 5 minutes?
    Hi guys. I just made a profile here hoping you can help. I've always kind of snooped around on the site, ever since i did a jailbreak on my 3g touch years ago.

Anyway, i'm really hoping you can help. I just bought a used 1st gen ipod touch (8gb) off ebay for 20$, problem was, the screen was cracked, and i was going to fix it. So i got it in the mail a few days ago, opened it up, and as advertized: it worked. The screen was cracked, but the touch screen still worked. Awesome.

So i get to fiddling around with it and discover the last owner left all his personal info on it (notes, pics, music, etc). None of which i cared to have on it any longer.

So.

I go into settings...
    click on General....
    and hit Reset.

Now, i literally used this ipod for about 38 seconds before i hit reset. i DID notice what seemed to be a Cydia app icon, when i glanced through the home pages before i reset it. I listened to one song to verify the headphone jack worked.

I've done a LOT of reading about bricking iPod Touch models... in fact, on the friday i got my ipod, i spent about 9 hours reading various 'i bricked my ipod' threads. My wife can verify, as she was bothered that i was so intensely focused on this problem.

Sorry, i'm rambling.

Anyway, it deletes everything just fine after i hit 'erase all data'.
    the progress bar shows up, and i watch it slowly fill across the screen, and then it completes, and restarts.

and then i wait.

i gave it about 25 minutes where it sat at the apple logo, with the loading/busy swirling ring.

i held home+power, and restarted it. It continued to cycle on and off about every 10 minutes or so.

When i plug this guy into my computer, it comes up as "USB Device Not Recognized". I cannot tell you if this is related to the Boot Loop, because i didn't plug it into my computer before i hit 'erase all data' on the ipod's settings page.

I can get it into 'Recovery Mode' with the Itunes Logo and usb cable, but windows and itunes still will not recognize the device.

Also, when i try to get it into DFU mode, (i've tried a million times, and i know that i'm doing it right since i can get my iphone 4 into DFU) it will not go to DFU.

Here is what happens when i try to get it into DFU.

Hit power to turn on device.
    Plug in device to computer.
    hold power and home to hard reset.
    it shuts off.
    I then hold power, and
    as soon as screen comes on i hold Home while still holding power.
    I then wait for the screen to shut off to let go of power and keep holding home.
    BUT
    it seems about 2-3 seconds before i'm supposed to let go of power, it HARD RESETS.

Like when i'm trying to enter DFU it thinks i'm trying to just hard reset.

I am sure this is what it's doing, since i get the tiny white line for a split second before it goes dark, like i get with a hard reset.

I bought this because i wanted a 1st Gen again, it was the first iPod or even Apple product i ever bought, and i fell in love with it. I gave my original 1st gen to my brother when i bought the new 3rd gen.

I'm really hoping you guys can help me out here... I've read so much about how hard it is to REALLY brick an iPod Touch... I'm refusing to give up yet.

I am also really great with repairing things (not so much the software parts).

I can't accept that it's just "Junk" now simply by hitting 'erase all data' .

Edit: Also, i literally have NO idea what firmware it had on it...

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by lunchfist; 02-18-2013 at 06:32 AM.

548 views and not one reply?

:/

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

I don't know what instructions you are following to get into dfu but that doesn't sound right at all. Easy way into dfu:
    Plug in device
    Hold power and home button for exactly 10 seconds.
    After 10 seconds release power button and keep holding home button until you hear your computer recognize it. It should take about another 10 seconds for that to happen.
    You can do this at any point when the phone is on, even if it is on the apple
    Logo.

Once in dfu the screen should be black and iTunes should recognize that it is in recovery (actually dfu but iTunes doesn't distinguish the difference). Try restoring it and if you get any errors let me know exactly what error number it is.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes first before doing any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't know what instructions you are following to get into dfu but that doesn't sound right at all. Easy way into dfu:
    Plug in device
    Hold power and home button for exactly 10 seconds.
    After 10 seconds release power button and keep holding home button until you hear your computer recognize it. It should take about another 10 seconds for that to happen.
    You can do this at any point when the phone is on, even if it is on the apple
    Logo.

Once in dfu the screen should be black and iTunes should recognize that it is in recovery (actually dfu but iTunes doesn't distinguish the difference). Try restoring it and if you get any errors let me know exactly what error number it is.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes first before doing any of this.
    Definitely have newest iTunes.
    I will try that method of getting into DFU in a moment.

Also.....

iPod comes up as unrecognized USB device any time that i plug it in. But if I get into DFU mode, you're saying it will then be recognized as iPod in DFU mode?

And thank you for replying, I just want to use my iPod. :P

Thanks

If its in dfu iTunes should recognize it as being in recovery. If it doesn't something is messed up with your USB drivers on your computer.

i've tried the method you described to get into DFU, so far, nothing. I've tried about 10 times. Itunes is running, but does not detect my ipod.

Windows keeps saying USB device Unrecognized when i plug it in. Like i said, i can get it into Recovery mode, but it still is not detected, just comes up as USB device Unrecognized.

I've tried Uninstalling the 'unrecognized usb device' driver, and plugging the ipod back in to re-install drivers... but it just keeps installing driver for Unrecognized USB device.

I seem to be unable to get it into DFU mode. Unless it IS in DFU, but just not recognized.
    Last edited by lunchfist; 02-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Took it apart, found out it has water damage, and also pin 25 (Data -) is fried/broken on the connector. Awesome.

Problem found.

Thanks guys.

Thanks

Well that sucks. At least you found the problem though.