+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wifi not detecting networks

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
I have an iPod Touch 2g, 4.2.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. After roughly a year of use with no problems, the wifi began to say "no wifi" in gray text. Sometimes,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default wifi not detecting networks
    I have an iPod Touch 2g, 4.2.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. After roughly a year of use with no problems, the wifi began to say "no wifi" in gray text. Sometimes, restarting several times would bring the wifi back but eventually that stopped working. I have more details but don't think they are relevant here. So anyway, I restored, but in the factory state it just said "not connected" and didn't detect any network, even when I entered it manually (it just says "cannot find network") and I was near a very strong network with no encryption. (I have video of the current behavior.) The ipod used to recognize this network, and my laptop recognized it. So I don't think the problem is due to the jailbreak, so I re-jailbroke it, of course it still does the same thing but during verbose boot AppleBCMWLAN said "successful initialization" and gave the ethernet address, but then it said "AirPort: Link down on en0. (Reason 1: Unspecified). It's a hardware issue I guess? I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do about this, or if it is repairable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

According to various sources such as this, the problem can be helped by repeatedly toggling wifi in sbsettings. Unfortunately, I didn't know that before restoring, so after re-jailbreaking I'm having trouble installing mobilesubstrate_0.9.3999.1_iphoneos-arm.deb, which is required for sbsettings. I tried using cyder2, but mobilesubstrate doesn't appear in cydia under manage>packages, even after rebooting. I tried putting in com.saurik.substrate.safemode along with it, because that's listed as a depend, and it appears in cydia but with a red background. I also tried iPhoneBrowser (var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall) but the same thing happens, the deb shows up in iPhoneBrowser but doesn't appear in cydia after reboot, and is no longer in the folder the next time it is checked. If I could install sbsettings, I could try the toggle, but I can't even install mobilesubstrate. Please help.