+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod 4g Blank Screen. Dont know how to fix

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Today my iPod randomly shut off and the screen wont turn on. When I plug it in my computer makes the noise and when I put in in DFU etc.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Today my iPod randomly shut off and the screen wont turn on. When I plug it in my computer makes the noise and when I put in in DFU etc. it makes the noise as well. When I try to restore using iTunes, I get error 3791 and when I try restoring using a .ipsw I get error 21. I've searched up some other posts put none of their solutions seem to work.

My iPod is jailbroken with GreenPoison and I am willing to wipe everything from it to get it to work again.

Can anyone help me out?

Please dont tell me to just hold the power and home button, Ive tried that many times
    Last edited by soomz; 10-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Attempt a restore with recovery mode instead of DFU and see if that will work. Be sure to try restoring to a stock firmware. If that doesn't work, then try a custom firmware.

Edit: Custom fw only works if you have SHSHs saved, if you don't well then you'd have to use stock since I don't believe iOS 6 can be made into a cFW yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

soomz (10-03-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the issue is that I am stuck in recovery mode. As soon as I plug my ipod into the computer, iTunes says it is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. When I try to restore is gives me error 3791. I've tried the regular update and also 5.0.1, 5.1.1. 6.0 gives me error 21.

And yes I have removed all apple associated things from my hosts file.

I have also tried iREB but as soon as it counts down, it finishes and says my ipod is in DFU state but nothing on the iPod changes
    Last edited by soomz; 10-03-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks

iTunes will say it is in recovery whether you are in dfu or recovery. If you do not have the iTunes+USB screen, you are not in recovery but are in DFU.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do I have to shut my ipod off to enter recovery mode? I cant tell if my touch screen is responsive because the screen is off, not even just black. This makes it hard to tell if my iPod is actually shutting off

EDIT:Since I couldnt seem to get recovery mode to work, I put my iPod id DFU and clicked "Fix Recovery" in Tiny Umbrella. A Recovery device popped up on the side and now my iPod has a white screen. Not sure what to do from here

EDIT2: It now went to a black screen and loaded the GreenPoison Boot screen I think.(black screen with white text) It is now stopped at the bottom of this screen
    Last edited by soomz; 10-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks

Is the screen on though? If it is, you can do recovery mode as long as it is ON.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Only sort of. The only time the screen turns on if it is the white screen or the black one with text. As soon as i try to enter recovery the screen turns off

Thanks

What is the sequence you are using to try to enter Recovery mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

attempting to power off, then holding the home button when plugging into the computer.

Thanks

You don't power it off for recovery mode. While the phone is on, hold home and power simultaneously. The phone's screen will go blank, at that time release the power button and hold home until you get the itunes+usb screen. Keep the phone plugged into the computer during the entire process.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is what I was trying originally. It doesnt seem to help tho

I still get error 3794 when I try to update

Thanks

Ok, if you keep trying and it still won't go, are you able to attempt a restore with iTunes regardless? If so, try again and give me the error number so we can see what the current state of it is right now.

Edit: Just saw your update, do you still get the same error number by clicking "restore" rather than "update?"

I don't think I've heard of a 3794 either, are you sure that's the correct error number?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry I should have said when I click "Restore". Update is greyed out for me. And youre right, there error is 3194, not 3794

Thanks

Ok. Have you ever edited your host files before, or used TinyUmbrella on the machine you are using to restore?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have but I cleared my host files so they are back to default

Thanks

If you have TinyUmbrella and the option is checkmarked under Advanced, uncheck point to Cydia on exit.

Also, have you attempted a shift+restore to stock iOS 6 yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've unchecked it. I just tried to restore to iOS 6 and I receive the same error (3194).

Just to clarify, should I have #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com in my hosts file or not?

Thanks

That should be correct. I can't imagine why you're receiving 3194 while restoring to a fw Apple is signing, as well as having returned your host files back to normal. Is there another machine that you can try on?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll go try on another machine right now. The .ipsw file i used to shift+restore was the 6.0 from Download iPod Touch Firmware / IPSW Files . That would be the correct one to use, right?

Thanks

Yes. It wouldn't hurt to grab the ipsw from here on MMi in the Downloads section, as I know all of our ipsw's work well. But I don't think there's a problem with your ipsw considering you're yielding a non-related error. Up to you.