Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Truly bricked

What's Jailbreak? CountdrunkuLA's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Truly bricked
    iPod touch 4g that is fully bricked. I tried everything, from restore (that won't work, get error) to tiny umbrella... Screen goes to apple logo then flashes white, then back to logo. I really need a fix if there is any because I refuse to Believe that it is trash

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

What error do you get?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks

I get all the errors and I've tried everything. It's my Lil bro's iPod touch and I don't know exactly what he did... All ******** aside, just tell me if there is a fix for a truly bricked device. I'm tired of looking for answers

Don't mean to sound so rash. I'm am grateful for your help and wish to learn more about this stuff, as I am interested in jailbreaking and hacking. I am a rookie
    Last edited by CountdrunkuLA; 09-15-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks

It's kinda hard to brick an iPod... So I wouldn't really say it's bricked. Have you tried downloading an IPSW and doing a shift + restore in iTunes?

Thanks

Heh, yes I've already did that. I also tried tiny umbrella to kick it out. I also tried to re-jailbreak it and that didn't work... Trust me. It's really Bricked

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you tried restoring with the device set in Recovery Mode? What about DFU mode? You've tried both stock and custom firmwares?

Thanks

Yes!

Dude never mind. You just don't get it. Your prob some 12yr old kid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CountdrunkuLA View Post
    Yes!

Dude never mind. You just don't get it. Your prob some 12yr old kid
    First off, she's 24. Second off, she's a moderator, so I'm pretty sure she knows what shes talking about, third off, you need to chill.

It's not our fault that your bro screwed his iPod. We're trying to help you and you're just being ignorant. Maybe if you actually left some details in your OP, maybe we wouldn't be asking you these ****** questions.

Also, I'm not really sure what you don't understand about "It's hard to brick an iPod touch." Do me a favor and actually read what we say since we're the ones trying to help you.

Thanks

Lol it's ok H4CK3R, thank you though. Some people are just stressed out. I would be too if I had a seemingly bricked device in my hands.

@OP, I'm sorry for all the questions but in order for us to isolate the problem it would be essential to know what you've already tried or not. What error numbers are you receiving in iTunes when restoring?

Thanks

I will have to see when I get it back. Sorry for snapping. I just hate ******** and shoot straight from the hip. I took it to some place to get it looked at, and they will let me know if it can be fixed. I just wanted to know if there was a program that I haven't heard of that you may know of, that I can use.

Thanks

Well a lot of times if the device isn't truly bricked, the error numbers will indicate a lot of what can be used to fix the problem. We wouldn't know what tool to use or what methods to use differently until we are able to see what error numbers are produced.

Thanks

I'm not completely sure, but I think one of the errors was 1034 and 1022 and 09 or 04 I think... Can you name any programs I could use? Like I said, I tried tinyumbrella and re-jailbreaking and doing the whole DFU restore crap and still, No Dice :-/

Thanks

Unfortunately if you're not sure I can't really tell you what to use. Each error number has a significant difference and tells us why the device isn't restoring properly.

I could tell you the TinyUmbrella will fix this, I could tell you that no tool at all is going to fix this and it's a matter of a particular sequence of actions. I wouldn't know what to tell you without an exact error number, since you said you've tried a restore in a every possible mode the phone is able to use and used both stock and custom firmwares.

I'm not able to determine anything by guesses on error numbers, and it's more difficult to determine since you've tried everything I've asked about already and none of them worked.

Thanks

I will get the error codes and post them correctly. I spoke to the guy I have trying to fix it, and he said it is the hardware and not the software, that is the prob. He also said that they cannot take apart the iPod touch 4 because it is sealed with some glue or something, and suggested to me to go to apple and see of I can get lucky enough to get a new one in return for the damaged one :-/

Thanks

It very well could be a hardware problem. I know I've talked about the error numbers extensively, but that's also another thing they tell us: Whether or not the device is having a software or hardware failure.

I think his suggestion is a good one. If you can though, go ahead and post up the error numbers you receive. Try a couple different restore methods, like through a DFU restore or a recovery restore. Usually hardware errors will give you the same error number no matter what you do. If you get differing error numbers depending on different methods you choose, it could be a software failure.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,188 Times in 6,204 Posts

The flashing during the reboot really kinda tells me he has a hardware issue, especially since recovery and DFU are still throwing errors at that point.
    Then
    cannot take apart the iPod touch 4 because it is sealed with some glue or something
    made me shiver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    The flashing during the reboot really kinda tells me he has a hardware issue, especially since recovery and DFU are still throwing errors at that point.
    Then made me shiver.
    Yeah. I'd hate to confirm that without seeing an error number though. It sucks bc sometimes a device will be working fine one moment and the next some sort of hardware just goes kaput.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,188 Times in 6,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Yeah. I'd hate to confirm that without seeing an error number though. It sucks bc sometimes a device will be working fine one moment and the next some sort of hardware just goes kaput.
    Hear that, it has happened to me more then once. The error numbers would certainly help. The flashy thing still gives me a bad feeling given the little info we have to go on, and the repair company couldn't even open it, so someone with little or minimal experience has been inside the device...scary.

Thanks

Yeah huh...that glue thing certainly is odd to hear about.

Thanks

Haha, no one has been inside the device... They simply told me that it would be too difficult to take apart the iPod touch, just to see if it is a hardware issue. Unlike the iPhone, the iPod casing is different... Anyways, I was recalling what my bro had originally told me when the device screwed up, he said he did in fact leave it in the heat (in the car) when he used it again, is when the problems occurred... Thanks for trying to help. I am really amazed at the level of help everyone is willing to give on this site, as I am new to
    this whole experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast