+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod touch 4G stuck in a startup loop

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
I was on my jailbroken 8GB iPod touch 4G (5.1.1) using iFile and looking around in my iPod files. When I updated to 5.1.1 and rejailbroke my device a long
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was on my jailbroken 8GB iPod touch 4G (5.1.1) using iFile and looking around in my iPod files. When I updated to 5.1.1 and rejailbroke my device a long time ago, I used OpenBackup to backup my Cydia packages. When I got to this directory (I've forgotten what it was), I saw some files, including 2 in particular, one named "Applications", and another one named the same thing, but it had a period and some random letters at the end, I can't remember the letters exactly, but it had something in it like "bac" or something. Anyway, I deleted the one without the random letters in it, thinking it was the old backed up Cydia packages from the time I backed up (yes, I know, that was stupid to do, I thought I didn't need them anymore). Then I renamed the one with the random letters in them to just "Applications". In a few seconds, graphical glitches started to appear on iFile and I didn't remember the letters I had deleted, so I decided to go to iFile's trash can to restore the old file. But I couldn't find the directory for the trash files (I know there's an easy way to get there, but that didn't cross my mind at the time), so I went back to the home screen. That was a big mistake. Now my Cydia apps and the default Apple apps (Settings, App Store, Clock, etc.) won't open. It just displays a black screen for a split second and goes right back to the home screen.

So I come down here and try to find a way to get into my iPod without having to use SSH. I found out how, and found out the trash directory for iFile. That was useless, as I still couldn't remember the letters that I had removed. I tried to add random letters to the Application folder that was in the trash, but that didn't work. So then I thought that restarting my device would help. Another big mistake. Now my iPod just displays the Apple startup logo for a long time, and then the screen goes white for about 2 seconds then the display goes off. Then the logo comes on again and it does this over and over. My computer can't detect my iPod plugged in.

I know this all sounds really stupid, and I can't even believe I made such stupid mistake, but if you can overlook all that, help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, I'd really love it if there's a way I can fix this problem without having to completely restore my iPod, or at least a way to back up everything before having to restore, if restoring is inevitable.
    Last edited by Litagano; 08-20-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks

It's really not looking good to avoid a (DFU mode ideally) restore right now to get a working device...

The best advice I can give you right now is trying to bootstrap a SSH ramdisk (details here) and getting access to your filesystem and grabbing the files you want to save. While you see the Apple logo, SSH may be available and you might be able to get in a quick "reboot" or "kill SpringBoard" and buy yourself more time to work in the filesystem.

There's also the possibility of your iTunes or iCloud having a backup of your iPod that you can restore to after a DFU restore, though I wouldn't consider this an ideal option.

I have to warn you though, you may not be able to get in to the filesystem again, and your only option could be a total DFU restore.

EVO
    Thanks

and to add......

Thread moved

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It's really not looking good to avoid a (DFU mode ideally) restore right now to get a working device...

The best advice I can give you right now is trying to bootstrap a SSH ramdisk (details here) and getting access to your filesystem and grabbing the files you want to save. While you see the Apple logo, SSH may be available and you might be able to get in a quick "reboot" or "kill SpringBoard" and buy yourself more time to work in the filesystem.

There's also the possibility of your iTunes or iCloud having a backup of your iPod that you can restore to after a DFU restore, though I wouldn't consider this an ideal option.

I have to warn you though, you may not be able to get in to the filesystem again, and your only option could be a total DFU restore.
    Umm...anyway, I got into my iPod's files using this method, and copying my files onto my computer worked for a while, but eventually, I got this error from WinSCP:

Permission denied.
    Error code: 3
    Error message from server: Permission denied
    Request code: 5

Not sure what's going on here.