+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade to 2.x/3.x, worth the trouble?

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Hello, all! Christmas of 2008, i got an iPod Touch 2nd Gen (MB) from my grandparents, and i used and loved it up until i bought a 4th gen last
    What's Jailbreak? Breakingspell's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Downgrade to 2.x/3.x, worth the trouble?
    Hello, all! Christmas of 2008, i got an iPod Touch 2nd Gen (MB) from my grandparents, and i used and loved it up until i bought a 4th gen last year, and at that point, gave it to my brother, along with a jailbroken 4.1 (I'd upgraded and jailbroken all the way from 2.2.1 on, good times)

My brother goes and sits on it a year later, and surprisingly didn't crack the digitizer, but the LCD badly split and bled, so i've ordered the parts to replace it. I accidentally tore the cable for the digitizer, so now i have to wait for it to arrive :P (picture attached)

While i'm at it, he says that 4.1 is incredibly slow, and i can tell just from it taking about 3 minutes to boot, all the way up to the insane lag and running out of memory often, so i'm planning on downgrading it to a more "optimized" firmware for the device.

I was originally planning to try and downgrade it to 2.2.1, but most tweaks/apps aren't compatible with it any longer, and 3.x is old enough to run smoothly if my memory serves, and i'm sure iTunes would give me hell for trying such an old version, even with my saved SHSHs.

Would it be worth the trouble to downgrade it to a pre-4.x firmware, for the sake of speed? My brother only uses it for music and web browsing, and only needs the jailbreak to use iFile and Winterboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downgrade to 2.x/3.x, worth the trouble?-2012-06-16-01.30.58.jpg  

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Well, you have SHSHs. That's a good sign. iTunes won't give you a hassle at all, you just need to sign the firmware with the SHSHs you have. Apple still signs 4.1 for older devices, so if you have trouble downgrading you can just upgrade and try again. Just be sure to know how to make a signed IPSW and all that good stuff. If the speed is that bad, I'd say either to restore the thing and see what happens, or just downgrade it like you mentioned. The 2G has very limited RAM so the older the firmware, the better it is on RAM.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say downgrade to 3.1.3. This is what I do with iPhone 3G's. Speeds it up a bit. And there's still many 3.1.3 compatible tweaks.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    I would say downgrade to 3.1.3. This is what I do with iPhone 3G's. Speeds it up a bit. And there's still many 3.1.3 compatible tweaks.
    4.2.1 runs REALLY good on the 3GS as well.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I said iPhone 3G not 3GS

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Oh never mind then :l

I didn't see the apostrophe