Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: updating already jailbroken ipod touch 3.1.3 to 5.1 firmware

Default updating already jailbroken ipod touch 3.1.3 to 5.1 firmware
    hello all, new here and have a question...

I have an ipod touch 3g which i jailbroke using spirit over a year ago and it is on firmware version 3.1.3 at the moment but my question is, will it be safe enough to update from this jailbroken 3.1.3 ios firmware to the itunes 5.1 firmware as i have heard it can slow the ipod system down by doing so ?. i have backed up all my stuff with itunes already.

also is it safe to upgrade to this latest 5.1 firmware with this already jailbroken ipod. i'm just worried about this and i also never backed up my shsh before i first jailbroke it. basically is it safe to update an already jailbroken ipod ?. thanks in advance.

(if my english is bad, sorry)
    I heard that on ipod touch 3rd gen, ios4 is faster than ios3 but in ios5, it is a bit slower. And, i never heard of ios5.1 being officially released, ios5.0.1 is the latest firmware and also can be jailbroken. I recommend to restore instead of upgrading in itunes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Losijung For This Useful Post:

zenno (02-23-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed^^

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

i see. well to be honest i was looking to upgrade to ios 4 but i cannot find a way to upgrade to this as the only firmware i can get is firmware 5.1 from itunes. is there a way for me to upgrade to ios 4 and if so where could i find this firmware. i really do not want to go near ios 5 or 5.1 if i can help it. thanks for the replies folks. just to say again that i never backed up my shsh blobs. if i could get to ios 4 firmware i'd be happy that's all i need.

also you're english is perfect Losijung

I will restore before i do upgrade ios.
    Last edited by zenno; 02-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Um, none of this makes any sense.

5.0.1 is the latest. NOT 5.1.
    5.1 isn't even out yet and is actually only on Beta 3
    Cydia is broken and about useless on the Betas of 5.1

OS5 has actually sped up an old 3GS I had over OS4, so I'm assuming would do the same on a touch. Upgrade to 5.0.1 and rejailbreak with redsn0w.
    Black 16gb iPhone 4S 5.1.1
    Macbook Air OSX 10.8.2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joec2 For This Useful Post:

zenno (02-23-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by zenno View Post
    i see. well to be honest i was looking to upgrade to ios 4 but i cannot find a way to upgrade to this as the only firmware i can get is firmware 5.1 from itunes. is there a way for me to upgrade to ios 4 and if so where could i find this firmware. i really do not want to go near ios 5 or 5.1 if i can help it. thanks for the replies folks. just to say again that i never backed up my shsh blobs. if i could get to ios 4 firmware i'd be happy that's all i need.

also you're english is perfect Losijung

I will restore before i do upgrade ios.
    There are a few places where you can find older iOS firmwares for your iPod Touch,
    but if you haven't saved SHSH for 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 then you WONT be able to install them in any event, so it's not worth trying.

5.1 isn't out yet. It might be in a few weeks / months. You probably shouldn't wait for it because there's no indication if or when it will be jailbroken.
    5.0.1 - is current. If you have no SHSHs saved, then this is the only OS you can upgrade to. It has an untethered JB, so you should be OK.

If you still have 3.1.3 installed, and haven't upgraded or updated yet, you might be able to save your 3.1.3 SHSH blobs with iFaith - which will allow you to downgrade to 3.1.3 again later. You should try to do this first, to be safe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

zenno (02-23-2012)

my apologies folks i meant 5.0.1, i should have typed it correctly i'm sorry about that and thanks again for the info, well firstly i should restore this ipod touch 3g and then update the firmware to 5.0.1 and then jailbrake it is that correct as i am only new to this ? if that is the case then that's great. I was only worried about slowdown if i updated the firmware. again sorry about the confusion.

If you still have 3.1.3 installed, and haven't upgraded or updated yet, you might be able to save your 3.1.3 SHSH blobs with iFaith - which will allow you to downgrade to 3.1.3 again later.
    yes i have 3.1.3 but it's jailbroken so do you mean i can still save my shsh on this even though it's jailbroken as i thought you needed to have a clean non-jailbrake on it before you can save this on pc and with cydia. ?
    Last edited by zenno; 02-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zenno View Post

yes i have 3.1.3 but it's jailbroken so do you mean i can still save my shsh on this even though it's jailbroken as i thought you needed to have a clean non-jailbrake on it before you can save this on pc and with cydia. ?
    You don't have to be non jailbroken.
    And also, just upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 It works great! Dont worry about all the crap you hear about it. Just open iTunes and select restore. It's that simple. You're making way to big of an issue out of this

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

zenno (02-20-2012)

ok I got ye, I just wanted verification that it would be ok and thanks for the help. I'll be doing it later. just didn't want to take any chances so thanks again.

Thanks

No problem

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

zenno (02-23-2012)

Thanks

and here i thought only the 4g was the only ipod to use ios5.

well i eventually got some time to myself and installed ios firmware 5.0.1 and used redsnow and everything went perfectly fine. the speed has not decreased at all after this update and jailbreak and to be honest it seems faster. anyway thanks folks for the replies and help, much appreciated. this is one happy camper.
    Last edited by zenno; 02-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.