Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod touch 4 won't update to 5.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPod touch 4 won't update to 5.0.1
    I finally got around to trying to update to 5.0.1 However itunes comes up with "The ipod "dads ipod" could not be restored . An unknown error occurred (3194)" I tried to update twice and got this same notice both times . It is a Ipod touch 4th gen . Currently JB with greenpoison on ios 4.2.1 . What gives?

I am getting the exact same thing. Wanted to go through the update and JB routine with the Ipod before attempting to do it on my Iphone and just get this error.
    I am following the tut at iClarified for jailbreaking the Ipod 4g Touch.
    I have the 5.0.1 downloaded and did as the tut said to open itunes and shift click "restore" and locate the 5.0.1 ipsw. It goes through the first step, puts the ipod into safe mode and then errors out. I then restarted itunes and it said the ipod was in safe mode and needed to be restored. I tried and it errored out on me again. the screen of the ipod was blank. I then restarted itunes again and just told it to restore, it wanted to update to 4.3.5 I think, and I told it to go ahead. it errored out on me too, but it did put the ipod back the way it was.
    no clue what is going on or how to fix it, and I will not try with my iphone until I do it with my ipod successfully.

ok, i just tried to update directly via itunes and it told me that itunes needed to be updated. I updated itunes, then after rebooting, did the same as before with the shift restore and located the 5.0.1 ipsw and it worked....
    check and see if your itunes needs updated.
    Last edited by serpentine5; 12-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Should have said in original post that I updated itunes first . The problem was in my host file . Once I removed all lines refering to Apple from the host file , I was able to update .

I don't know who or what "tut at iClarified" is but from what I do know the CRONIC DEV TEAM is the only ones close to a JB for 5.0.1. You might want to check @ Cydia jailbreak help , before you do something and destroy your I- devises , .
    Last edited by dawg11; 12-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Dawg, "tut at iClarified" is a tutorial at iClarified.... when ever you need a tut for anything apple.... go there... here is the one for the 5.0.1 dev team JB....
    http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18999

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I found that out after I posted . Googled it and read some there before I got my jailbreak on . Sorry for doubting "tut at iClarified" , but with so many fake site claiming to have a jailbreak for 5.0.1 its better to be safe than bricked . I'm now jailbroke on 5.0.1 takes a bit longer for cydia to install , but all is working great .

"its better to be safe than bricked"
    You got that right.

And how is the performance on 5.0.1?

I havent had any issues on 5.0.1, performance is good in my eyes