+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hosts File

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Okay I have been in this endless loop for awhile now and found something else that could be causing my mayhem. For starters I have been having some serious lag
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hosts File
    Okay I have been in this endless loop for awhile now and found something else that could be causing my mayhem.

For starters I have been having some serious lag on my 4G itouch. I figured let me downgrade and then do a fresh upgrade to my touch. So anytime I try and do a erase/restore I am constantly hit with this message: Hosts File-error.jpg

Fine I can live with this, however this is constant, doesnt matter what time of day or night.

I was also reading about a fix and that you have to add some line to your "Hosts" file. I don't have a Hosts file on my PC and if that's what I need to get this to work where does one download a hosts file or have one created?

Any Help is appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Every computer has a host file. You may need to show hidden files and folders and will have to edit as an administrator.

"The host file is the one where one enters hostname and IP Address pair manually as against being served by a Name server (ex: DNS). As always the “host” file is under Cwindows\system32\drivers\etc\ or %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\ and hence cannot be edited by normal users.

To edit the host file,
    Click Start – search for “Notepad“, right-click and select “Run as Administrator“. This should launch notepad with elevated privileges. Now, open the host file from the File menu, edit and save."

Edit hosts file in Windows 7 & Windows Vista | Windows Reference
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I appreciate that. I did manage to find the "Hosts" file however I still cannot upgrade now I get the Error 3194. I am totally gonna throw this touch thru the window!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparker781 View Post
    I appreciate that. I did manage to find the "Hosts" file however I still cannot upgrade now I get the Error 3194. I am totally gonna throw this touch thru the window!!
    What firmware version are you trying to restore to?
    Got any blobs for it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am trying to go back down to 4.3.5 so I can officially do an upgrade to 5. I managed to erase everything on my Touch on my work PC within itunes and when I tried to upgrade later that evening at home I was getting the 3194 error message.....I did manage to finally get it work however I am seeing alot of sluggishness and wanted to downgrade and then try and do it again fresh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparker781 View Post
    I am trying to go back down to 4.3.5 so I can officially do an upgrade to 5. I managed to erase everything on my Touch on my work PC within itunes and when I tried to upgrade later that evening at home I was getting the 3194 error message.....I did manage to finally get it work however I am seeing alot of sluggishness and wanted to downgrade and then try and do it again fresh
    Unless you saved SHSH blobs for 4.3.5, you can't downgrade to it anymore.
    If you don't know what that is, you probably don't have them.

If iTunes is working, use the "Restore to its initial settings" button within iTunes. That will clear your iPod and install 5.0 again.

Later you'll get a prompt on your PC or on the iPod asking if you want to restore data, or set up a brand new iPod.

Go with "brand new".