+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.5

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
My GF asked me today if I could JB her iPod Touch, which has 1.1.5 firmware on it. I told her that it shouldn't be a problem but when I
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Question 1.1.5
    My GF asked me today if I could JB her iPod Touch, which has 1.1.5 firmware on it. I told her that it shouldn't be a problem but when I look in the Ultimate Jailbreaking guide, it shows 1.1.4 and then jumps to 2.0. Do I just use the 1.1.4 guide to jailbreak 1.1.5(using 1.1.5 FW, of course)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd recommend updating it for her first - I'm sure she would enjoy the new features and better app compatibility.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    iTunes says 1.1.5 is the current version. It's an older iPod Touch, 8GB, no camera.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    My GF asked me today if I could JB her iPod Touch, which has 1.1.5 firmware on it. I told her that it shouldn't be a problem but when I look in the Ultimate Jailbreaking guide, it shows 1.1.4 and then jumps to 2.0. Do I just use the 1.1.4 guide to jailbreak 1.1.5(using 1.1.5 FW, of course)?
    The best route to take depends on what she has on the iPod now, and what she'd like to use it for later.

If she wants to keep using it for the same stuff she always did before, there isn't an overwhelming need to update. Later firmwares will probably be a bit slower (due to memory usage).

However, I'd say don't bother Jailbreaking at 1.1.5. Much of the advice for doing this is no longer practical, and may no longer work because 3rd party repositories no longer support 1.x firmware. 2.x is marginally possible, but very few things in Apple's AppStore will work, and very few things from Cydia. For 2.x, skip to the latest: 2.2.1

If she'd like to install new software, tools, themes, extras- she'll be much better off going straight from 1.1.5 to 3.1.3. You can do this using iTunes. After upgrading, use Spirit (Spirit) to jailbreak.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ahhh. So, if I downloaded the 3.1.3 .ipsw and updated through iTunes, would it wipe everything off of it? She got the iPod in trade and doesn't want to lose the music on it(which is ridiculous, in my opinion).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    Ahhh. So, if I downloaded the 3.1.3 .ipsw and updated through iTunes, would it wipe everything off of it? She got the iPod in trade and doesn't want to lose the music on it(which is ridiculous, in my opinion).
    The music should still be there.

But just to be SAFE, you could try doing a backup with iPhoneBrowser:
    Downloads - iphonebrowser - iPhoneBrowser - Windows GUI for manipulating files on the jailbroken iPhone - Google Project Hosting

Since its not Jailbroken, you'll only have limited access, but you should still be able to reach:
    /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music
    copy all the mp3's in subdirectories, somewhere safe. You shouldn't need to, but it doesn't hurt.