Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0 Upgrade/Update *FAIL*

Default 4.0 Upgrade/Update *FAIL*
    Ok, so I have a iPod here. My friend wants to upgrade it to 4.0. I don't know why. Anyways, every time I try to upgrade it flashes my am error. I tried to flash the firmware on recovery mode and DFU mode. Even regular. I tried upgrade and restore buttons. Windows and Mac. Its not a server error because I have tinyumbrella redirecting from gs.apple.com in the host file. I have downloaded the 4.0 ipsw from Apple and yes I used the shift/option keys. The USB works fine. I don't know if it is Jailbroken or not because I can't find Cydia. It's running 2.2.1 right now. Any ideas on how to update/upgrade?

Info:
    8GB
    iPod
    2nd Generation
    Latest builds of iTunes and TinyUmbrella
    Not original computer/iTunes program that iPod was registered on
    Mac OS X 10.7(thats not a mistake) and Windows 7

Thanks
    Thanked 15,560 Times in 7,112 Posts

Unless you have 4.0 SHSH you will be forced to the most recent firmware for your device which is 4.2.1.

Ok,do I need to be rooted to get SHSH?

Thanks

No, you can use tiny umbrella to get SHSH without jailbreaking. Why not just go to 4.2.1 though? It is a better firmware than 4.0.

I don't know. It's my friends, not mine. Can you please give me some instructions or a tutorial? I tried to click Save SHSH in the TinyUmbrella program. A progress bar shows up but never moves. It says Device Connected. Thats it. Both windows and mac.

Thanks

I would suggest just update to 4.2.1. Then if he wants it jailbroken you can use greenpoison rc6.1 to jailbreak it. 4.0 will run REALLY slow on iPod Touch 2G.

Thanks. I think I will jut tell him because he said to use 4.0 only. I think he will get mad if I try 4.2.1. If I tell him about doing 4.2.1 and that I didn't do anything he is going to freak. Can you please just give me the instructions that way I could say I did something? I think he wants to use jailbreakme.com
    Last edited by domefavor95; 04-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks

Donwload tiny umbrella, connect the device and press save SHSH. It will save the SHSH for his device. If it is unable to save 4.0 SHSH then he cannot go to 4.0.

Thanks. Just found out that it is running GreenP0sin already. Saving SHSH is not working because it says Device is Connected. Thats it. Log: No SHSH can be found. Oh well...

Thank You!

When I go into DFU mode then use Umbrella to "Fix Recovery", it flashes with a crash screen that has GreenP0sin on the top.

At first, I couldn't find a way to get out of DFU mode(I know I am stupid for not googling), the option of exit recovery was gone, so tried the last option(I am really stupid now)

Wait, can I try to use this method? Click Me

Thanks

That is a old article using a old version of tiny umbrella.

Can you please give me some instructions or a tutorial? I tried to click Save SHSH in the TinyUmbrella program.