Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot restore Ipod Touch

Default Cannot restore Ipod Touch
    Hi Guys

My friend has given me his iPod Touch 16GB 1G to have a look at.

His iPod has got stuck in recovery mode and i cannot seem to get it to restore.

It originally had firmware 2.2.1 on it and ive tried restoring to 1.1.4 and 2 and 2.2.1 each of which just hangs at the end with waiting for iPod and never finishes.

I have also tried to restore it from DFU mode but this doesnt appear to work either.

I have tried to restore on 3 different computers and with a selection of cables. Also have tried iTunes 8.1 and 8.2

Any ideas?

Edit: The Ipod has never been jailbroken either

Just keep trying, it should restore eventually - don't bother longer then 5 minutes on waiting for iphone though - if it hasn't done it in 5 minutes it won't pop it back in DFU mode and set off restoring again. See this thread I have been posting in on a similar issue

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...restoring.html
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robcoffee For This Useful Post:

jlawes20389 (06-17-2009)

Ahh brilliant. Have bookmarked that for later when I get home from work!

I havent had error 9 though but the rest of it sounds exactly like the ipod.

Is there any particular firmware version you would recommend restoring with or just any? I think i have 1.1.4, 2, 2.1 and 2.2.1 downloaded.

You will get error 9 if you pull the ipod cable out after getting bored of it being stuck a "Waiting for ipod" for hours on end. I don't think the firmware matters, it seems to more be the number of times you reboot it and put it back in DFU. That said, my very sick 16gb 3g which gets stuck this way every other day seemed to kick out of it on firmware 2.0 for around half the tries to get back I have done - but it could be coincidence. Once you have got it back then any firmware will restore quite merrily.

This issue seems quite common, especially if you Google it. I would be interested to know if anyone can explain it in more technical terms then my "locked up iphone processor" theory. I think that recovery mode (connect to itunes) and dfu mode run seperate to the actual iphone/ipod main processor and flash drive - which is why you can get the connect to itunes / dfu mode - but when restoring the "Waiting for iPhone" I think is iTunes waiting for the actual iphone processor or system to report back it is ready to restore - but after a heavy crash of the system the processor either gets locked in a infinite loop or is somehow unable to respond - so iTunes just keeps on waiting. Why repeated attempts to restore eventually solve this is beyond me, I am not sure if it is related to the cycle of powering off, putting in DFU, waiting, force power off, put in dfu etc. that eventually kicks the processor or whatever into response again. When my 16gb 3g spits the dummy in the next 12 hours I'll try to get it back by repeated reboots and the occasional restore and see what happens then.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Oh right, I'm following a bit better now.

In that case, ill try what you have said and if/when it works ill report back with what I did. Ill probably try a variety of firmware as well just to see.

Ive had a little google and like you say, does seem odd that it gets stuck but will suddenly jump out of it after apparently doing nothing different.

I have been trying the DFU mode and restoring a quite a bit again but ive hit a new snag

I now cannot get it into DFU mode now

If i try to get into DFU mode with the ipod connected to the pc, the screen goes blank then i get the usb connected sound followed by disconnected then connected again and im back at the restore screen

If i do it without the ipod plugs in, it looks fine until i plug it in and then it pops up with the normal restore screen

HAHA your ipod broken nana nana