Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone with a Touch wanna try and Jailbreak it?

Default Anyone with a Touch wanna try and Jailbreak it?
    And then give us the iTunes Wifi Store app?

my thoughts exactly :-)

just picked up a 16gig ipod touch at my apple store in north jersey (paramus),

i got it running synced my music and stuff, then fired up independence,
    and independence recognized it as an activated connected iphone!!! , problem is i cant jailbreak until ive got some firmware on my mac, and i cant find the ipod touch firmware, so im just gonna try using the iphone firmware from apples site to see if i can jailbreak, i will report back soon if it worked and jailbraked or bricked my ipod... (its now 10:11pm eastern)

UPDATE, when i try and jailbrake, it lets me use the iphone firmware backup, but after its starts, it says it cant get the iphone into recovery mode... every time i try, it kicks the ipod to a spash screen it gave me the first time i turned it on to plug it into itunes. i turn on itunes, then it says the ipod is in recovery mode and needs to be recovered, then starts downloading ipod software 1.1 in the itunes download manager. at that point you cant do anything to the ipod on the touch itself or itunes, but if you hold down the sleep button the ipod for a few seconds, after a few reboots it kicks to to the slide to unlock screen with the globe on the iphone, you slide, it unlocks, and everythings back to normal (ipod goes to springboard) and itunes shows it as a fully functional ipod. so at this point its not working...

UPDATE 2: ok i dont know the server address, but i have the ipodtouch firmware ipsw / zip file on my mac now, it downloaded automaticly in itunes thinking the ipod needed to be updated, and dumped the file in my system library somewhere, and independence took the renamed unziped file, but its still giving me the error that i cant get into recovery mode. im gonna try ifuntastic now...

UPDATE 3: ifuntastic doesnt work, it looks for the firmware in the iphone folder somewhere on the computer, and i dont have it there because my itunes has no iphone configured with it, so im gonna go hacking around with that now..

UPDATE 4: i downloaded the iphone firmware, copyed it to where ifuntastic wants it, and it started working, but it wont go into recovery mode, i have no idea how to get the ipod touch into recovery mode, so ive hit a wall untill someone figures it out (how to get the itouch in recovery mode)
    Last edited by jonjesse1; 09-13-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: UPDATES

dang... thanks for trying... keep us posted!

UPDATE 4: i downloaded the iphone firmware, copyed it to where ifuntastic wants it, and it started working, but it wont go into recovery mode, i have no idea how to get the ipod touch into recovery mode, so ive hit a wall untill someone figures it out (how to get the itouch in recovery mode)

UPDATE 5: ok after messing with ifuntastic i went back to indepence and tryed jailbreaking again, this time the spinning beach ball showed up on the ipod under the apple logo and independence, but this time when it DIDNT work i HAD to restore my ipod to get it to work again, so it erased my bookmarks and music, ect... but the ipod still works after the restore so its not bricked... so ive hit a wall, the ipod will not go into a usable restore mode using the same proccess as the iphone because i think the button at the top is the hold switch and not a power switch...

so we need the process to get the itouch into restore mode and everything should work...
    Last edited by jonjesse1; 09-13-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Can you install AppTapp on it?

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/

When I last restored my iPhone, I just installed this, and got everything I needed back on quickly. No need for a separate jailbreak.

UPDATE 6 :
    im trying apptapp now, but i think its trying to get into recovery mode and hanging just like independence and ifuntastic... will update

UPDATE 7 : apptap wants iphone firmware to work, and obviouysly the ipod wants ipod firmware, so untill apptap supports the ipod firmware file we are SOL

UPDATE 8 : apptap did NOT work, had to restore ipod for second time in 20 minutes...
    im about done for the night (we need to get the itouch in restore mode
    Last edited by jonjesse1; 09-13-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: UPDATE 8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jonjesse1 For This Useful Post:

amnesia (09-13-2007)

Thanks for trying dude

I'm sure the developers of the apps are on it. It seems like all they have to do is change where the app looks for the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by nato64 View Post
    Thanks for trying dude

I'm sure the developers of the apps are on it. It seems like all they have to do is change where the app looks for the firmware.
    the problem is not on the mac/pc side, because independence sees it as an iphone and wants to jailbreak, but to do that it needs to go into recovery mode, and the ipod touch has a different process for going into recovery mode then the iphone, as soon as we get it into recovery mode im confident we can jailbreak, install ssh, sftp, everything, install apptap, and get 3rd part apps and first party apps from the iphone (google maps, mail, ect) onto the touch, all it relies on (to my knoledge) is getting the ipod touch into a recovery mode that jailbreak can recognize, or rewrite jailbreak to support whatever recovery mode the ipod touch is using now.

Ahhh, I see.

Sounds good. The funny thing is I bet most people are interested in jailbreaking the iPod touch to install all the iPhone apps on it. I'm more interested in getting my hands on the iTunes WiFi store on my iPhone I know Apple is going to release it on the iPhone via a software update but who knows when that'll be.

I'd also love to have a separate Movies app in my iPhone instead of it being inside the iPod app.

In any case, the iPhone was hacked faster than anyone could have imagined and I bet it'll be way faster with the iPod touch. The two being so similar and all.
    Last edited by nato64; 09-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjesse1 View Post
    the problem is not on the mac/pc side, because independence sees it as an iphone and wants to jailbreak, but to do that it needs to go into recovery mode, and the ipod touch has a different process for going into recovery mode then the iphone, as soon as we get it into recovery mode im confident we can jailbreak, install ssh, sftp, everything, install apptap, and get 3rd part apps and first party apps from the iphone (google maps, mail, ect) onto the touch, all it relies on (to my knoledge) is getting the ipod touch into a recovery mode that jailbreak can recognize, or rewrite jailbreak to support whatever recovery mode the ipod touch is using now.
    great, can't wait. Would love to get maps and mail on the touch. Thanks

Thanks

Here.. the app folders straight from an iPhone for Mail, Calendar, Notes, Weather, and Maps. Knock yourselves out, because I don't have mine yet =(

http://rapidshare.com/files/55607112/iPhoneApps.zip

thanks for all the hard work tonight! and i agree... i'd LOVE to have the wifi music store on my iphone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Too complicated, why dont you just wait maximum of 3 days till the week is over... and you will probably have it i think they will update tomorrow cuz they usually launch stuff on friday

I can confirm all that he's tried; I've been trying to do the same myself. Same thing shows up on iNdependence as well... it tries but fails..

Just a couple more notes as well:

Firmware is here.

I've been trying to do all the things the developers did to break the iPhone disk image, but it hasn't worked yet. The firmware is split like the iPhone's one is, but there are two RamDisks instead of one; running the "dd" command that they came up with for the iPhone doesn't work. (at least, not outright). The Main OS disk image is encrypted as well, just as before.

iPHUC starts talking with it, but it ends up either with a Bus Error or SegFaulting when I try to do anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    thanks for all the hard work tonight! and i agree... i'd LOVE to have the wifi music store on my iphone.
    Why? The Wifi Music store as far as I know isn't active yet so it doesn't work, and the iPhone will get an update when it is released next week.

Default apple sends a modified firmware v 1.0.2
    I had to do a restore on my iphone so i plugged it in on itunes and did the restore. I went back to get it activated using iNdependence but it wont work ! its say unkown firmware and would just bail out ! I tried both v 1.1.1 and v 1.2.1 and iphone tools all with no use ! Any one tried it and has the same issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Why? The Wifi Music store as far as I know isn't active yet so it doesn't work, and the iPhone will get an update when it is released next week.
    it works on the ipod touch. i've even seen videos online of people using it. it seems to take quite a while to load/connect initially, but after that it works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by aalfarees View Post
    I had to do a restore on my iphone so i plugged it in on itunes and did the restore. I went back to get it activated using iNdependence but it wont work ! its say unkown firmware and would just bail out ! I tried both v 1.1.1 and v 1.2.1 and iphone tools all with no use ! Any one tried it and has the same issue ?
    not sure what the problem is but this is IPOD TOUCH dicussion, NOT iphone discussion, so ask in another forum

Any new news on the Jailbreaking efforts?

The Touch does support Disk Mode... maybe that is the way into this puppy...

It has 2 storage partitions, like the older iPods do... has someone tried the method commonly used to install iPod Linux to gain access to the iPT?

Just throwing some ideas out there... i kinda want the contacts app on my iPhone hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast