Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't restore, won't restart after 'preparing ipod for restore'

Default Can't restore, won't restart after 'preparing ipod for restore'
    So I just got my iPod touch back from best buy after waiting 6 weeks to get the mainboard replaced. There doesn't seem to be any firmware on it.
    I went to restore it and ran into a TON of problems.

- Plug in, ipod shows connect to itunes. click restore (so 2.2.0, i'm guessing). screen flashes mac logo a couple times,
    "Preparing ipod for restore" bar fills up
    fills up again
    ipod goes black, "preparing ipod for restore" starts 'scanning', ipod never starts, 1604 / 1603.

- Put ipod into DFU. click restore. screen flashes white, flashes mac logo a couple times, then does the same thing. 1604 / 1603.

- Try both with 2.1. Same thing.
    - Try all of above with different USB port. Then a mac. Then a different USB cord. Try uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, device support, etc. same thing.
    - Try pushing power button at the part where the ipod won't start. Shows connect to itunes. Fills up the bars again, and ultimately does the same thing and gives a different error (1611)
    - Try everything with 1.1.1. No dice.
    - Downgrade itunes to 7.6. Apparently it isn't supported. Go back.
    - iPod doesn't get recognized in ziPhone or in a DFU.exe file I heard about in another post, so I can't force it into DFU.

I don't know if it was the mysterious 'semi-dfu' I've read about in a couple of places because it has no firmware and never has.

So does anyone have any ideas?

I don't want to wait another 2 months for bestbuy to sit around with my ipod again, but nothing seems to work.
    I am using XP SP2 with itunes 8.02.20. The ipod had 1.1.3 before being brought in.
    Also, I have itunes generated error logs for 1603, 1604, and 1611. The ipod has also given me errors 1 and 3 (i think) once or twice, but I have no idea why.

Help me!!

I'm willing to say that they screwed up. The fact that there isn't any firmware on it doesn't surprise, but the fact that you can't get it to work no matter what you try does suggest that it may be something hardware related. Maybe there's something with replacement that you could do (under warranty?). Have you tried all firmware versions? Is it 1st or 2nd generation? You've tried Recovery/DFU mode which didn't work. As of now, I don't know of any software that can get all information (except a terminal, but if you can't get into the device that wont help).

It's a gen 1, when new it came preloaded with 1.1.2 if i recall. I've tried 1.1.1, 2.1, and 2.2 from .ipsw, and tried just clicking restore. no dice on any.

one thing peculiar that i noticed... when the ipod is connected either in dfu or in regular restore mode, no serial number comes up in itunes... is this normal?

i can bring it back to best buy, but my experiences with them haven't always been great. this past time they didnt send back my "fixed" ipod until i called and bitched at them after 6 weeks of waiting.

i've attached the tails of the logs from when it tries to restore, errors 1604, 1603 and 1611.

keep the suggestions coming. i know we all like a challenge.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know if the serial number is assigned when it is made or when the firmware is on the device, but if the former being the case, that may also suggest something hardware has gone awry. Is there something you can do at an Apple store? It may be a problem that Best Buy could solve themselves, but seeing as you've had problems before, I would venture that they don't know what they're doing (at least the person that handled your device). On the end of software, I still do not know of something (I haven't looked at the documents provided, just came up with these thoughts from observing your symptoms).

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I would take it in to the Apple Store. Just be like WTF GIRLFRIEND, and make them give you a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i pretty much did exactly that.
    i told them bestbuy replaced the mainboard on it and now it wont work and i want a new one.
    and they told me thats great but bestbuy voided the apple warranty.

apparently everything on the touch is somehow interconnected and all needs matching serial numbers, or something, and replacing the main board messed that all up. also i guess if they "only" replaced the mainboard they had to un-solder all the peripherals from it, and something could have gone wrong there too.

in any case the guy realized it wasn't my fault, and gave me a new one. 2.2 is already JB'ed on it.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

rofl The guy at best buy gave you a jailbroken one? is he totally like in on the jailbreak scene?
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Default i only wish.
    nah, i guess i wasn't too clear in the post.
    he just gave me a refurb... no firmware on there.

but as soon as i knew it turned on i went straight home and "corrected the problem"

oh, another thing... i went to best buy after i did the swap and they changed the serial number for my warranty to the new one.

so my advice to everyone out there...

if you have a bestbuy/target/etc warranty:
    - make sure your touch is less than a year old
    - make sure whoever will change your old store warranty over to a new serial number
    - don't waste any more time, and GO STRAIGHT TO APPLE.
    - get a refurb ipod in hand, go home, JB.

if you don't, the store warranty could void the manufacturer warranty. and apparently apple is thrilled to give you a new touch. no repairs, no service, just "here's a refurb, thanks for coming to us."

good luck to everyone else on this stuff. i know where i'll go from now on