Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch Troubleshooting

Default iPod Touch Troubleshooting
    There are a lot of threads everyday that post the same questions, so I thought I'd do one to help the most common.

iPod Touch and iPhone Troubleshooting
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    First, guidelines for
    If something bad happens:

DON'T PANIC!!! Panicking is one of the worst things that you can do when a problem arises. Panicking makes us desperate, irritable and leads to mistakes which can make things worse!

Don't yell Yelling is using caps or bolding text. It creates a high tense situation which doesn't always help when someone is trying to help you. Be civil and keep your voice down.

Be descriptive Do not reduce your text with short hand as that makes it hard for those trying to help to understand; this includes headlines that seem like you're the only one in distress. EX "OMG HELP ME!!! PRBLM WITH ITOUCH!!!" That can actually deter people as you're acting arrogant and greedy. In your descriptions, explain everything, it wont hurt to post too much information about your device.

FAQ

Apps keep crashing
    This can be caused by incorrect permissions within applications, corrupt applications, or not having the correct prerequisites for applications. First, try fixing your permissions by downloading the app 'BossPrefs' and, under 'More' press 'Fix User Dir Permissions' and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, try re-downloading the application. If an app says that it needs prerequisites, download them before getting such an app. Now if it's an AppStore app, all hope is lost . But really, AppStore is buggy and so are some programs, the only step above that could help would be to reinstall.

My device won't turn on
    One thing that may hurt is a depleted battery. Plug it into your computer and try to turn it on. It could be that your device also has a problem with the firmware, in which case needs a restore. For restore mode ('resetting' the device), hold the Home button until an icon appears on your screen (iTunes with a USB underneath). For DFU ('redoing' the device):
    1. Turn the device off (if it already isn't) and hold the Power and Home button for 10 seconds exactly.
    2. Release the Power button and hold the Home button until the device is read by your computer. The screen should be black.
    For some other methods, see BigBoss.

I get an error when restoring
    This can mean many things, but is specified by its error number. (160x) errors refer to firmware problems. (-69) error refers to a corrupt file when trying to upload something (more with syncing).

How do I..? / What do I..?
    Refer to this post (it is a bit outdated).

Cydia/Installer screwed up my device
    These are rare occurrences (far outweighed in happenings by things going smoothly), mostly after updating the application. Since you can downgrade these apps without uninstalling them, you could restore and try again, re-download the software you used for jailbreaking or the firmware and do it again. To help prevent such occurrences, don't ask the device to do so much during such things while updating, don't do anything prior to updating and be sure you restart the app or respring or reboot. Also, do not blame the authors if anything happens. These apps are not nor meant to be malicious.

I have a spinning wheel of death (SWOD)
    The SWOD is like the BSOD, but instead of stopping all processes, it tries to run them all, which it cannot do. Though risky, you can turn it off and turn it on and that should take care of it. It it continues (especially if in endless boot or when using settings) you should restore. See 'My Device Won't Turn On' for how to get into Recovery/DFU mode. To help prevent such things, try:
    1. Turn off your device, connect to computer
    2. SSH in to your device
    3. Go to the directory </private/var/mobile> and rename "Applications" to "Applications2".
    4. The device should respring
    5. Rename "Applications2" back to "Applications"
    6. Reboot your device (manually if you have to)
    And you should be set when it comes to booting up/respringing.

My wallpaper isn't changing
    Make sure that your themes are in the right directory. They should be in the Summer/WinterBoard (depending on firmware version) directory </private/var/mobile/Library/SummberBoard> or in </private/var/stash/Themes.2iJR2m> (both work). If that doesn't work, try rebooting your device. If that still will not work, try a different theme (sometimes when you download a theme, it downloads the same thing[s] under [a] different name[s]).

Please remember: bad things happen to our devices. We're using software that alters our device's OS, there will be problems eventually. Don't worry, just get through it and move on, remembering the mistake that led to the incident. Don't get angry and don't blame. We will help you if you're nice and respectful of us.

This post could use some more information!
    If you'd like to add anything, please post it and it will be added to this post! If I made a mistake or said something incorrect, please correct me! The correction will come as soon as possible!
    Last edited by Jeckel; 09-06-2008 at 03:05 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

lincolnx (01-22-2011), Pj9701 (01-15-2011), S3ANSOWAVY (09-14-2010)

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Great post. the only other thing i would add is this
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks

Good Post. Stickied.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

very nice post should change the title to "Iphone and Ipod touch Troubleshooting"
    as it applies to booth devices
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    Great post. the only other thing i would add is this
    Done

Thanks

I would also add:

If your iPod/iPhone's Wallpaper isn't changing
    If your devices lockscreen wallpaper isn't changing when you try to set it in Customize or Settings, then follow these steps:

1. SSH into your device using either WinSCP or iphonebrowser
    2. Navigate to /private/var/mobile/library
    3. At the very bottom of that folder should be a .jpg called lockscreenwallpaper.jpg
    4. If you delete that file, then you should be able to change your lockscreen wallpaper

You should be able to change your wallpaper multiple times without doing that now, but if it sticks again, just redo those steps. If you are on 1.1.4 or lower, you can download the app MobileFinder and navigate to it using that.

Dont forget to thank!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and unfortunately, my first post is regarding the troubleshooting of my 1st Gen 32GB Ipod Touch ver 2.2.

Yesterday, I was successful in jailbreaking my friend's 8GB Ipod Touch ver 2.2 using QuickPwn. When I tried it today on my 32 GB Ipod Touch, it didn't end successfully because my iPod screen got frozen during the end of the process. My screen is showing the QuickPwn logo "Pineapple" logo. My iTunes does not recognize my iPod anymore though windows can still recognize it because it makes a sound everytime I connect it. I'm using windows XP.

Thank you in advance for your help.

by the way, i'm using iTunes 8.0.0.35

thank you again
    Last edited by SiberianPrincess; 01-18-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It may have been better to post a new topic, but I'd be happy to answer here.

Have you put the device into Recovery or DFU mode? The first objective would to be to get it working again. Try those two methods (if the first does not work), after which you can re-jailbreak.

See how that'll work out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

SiberianPrincess (01-18-2009)

Talking Thank you
    Thank you so much for your help Jeckel!!

My apologies for not posting a new topic as I thought this is where we should put troubleshooting problems.

I have tried to put it in DFU mode but not recovery mode.. Anyway, recovery mode has worked for me! thank you so much again!

Hi,

sorry to bother you, but I tried to upgrade my iPod touch 1G, firmware 1.1.5 with firmware 2.2 from download sites (not iTunes), to proceed then with QucikPwn, but I got an error during the upgrade: error 5, the only thing was to recover the iPod through iTunes (8.0.2) and re-install everything.
    Then I tried with firmware 2.1, and 2.0, same result.
    I searched on the web, but so far the only hint I got was the error 5 refers to some error related to firmware.
    Do you have any advice how to proceed? My goal: visualize and install the free Applications from AppStore, and jailbreak the iPod.
    Syncinc/upgrading iPod is done through a PowerBook, OS 10.4.11

Thanks,
    Emanuela

Thanks

Make sure your quickpwn is the most recent one to jailbreak 2.2.

Default firmware and quickpwn
    Hi,

actually quickpwn *was* the one for firmware 2.2, but, according to the tutorial, I was first supposed to upgrade the iPod to 2.2 firmware from 1.1.5.
    So I tried to do so; unfortunately during the upgrade, the installation froze mid-way, saying that the iPod could not be updated due to "error 5".
    Hence I did not even manage to start with the Quickpwn and the jailbreak process...I froze at firmware upgrade.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Emanuela

Thanks

Ohhhhh got it. Put you ipod into DFU mode. (google for directions). Then restore in iTunes, it should update to 2.2 also. THEN use quickpwn. Sorry, my mistake. I thought you had already updated.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bteamer For This Useful Post:

Ela (01-25-2009)

have got ipod touch 1st gen and running on 2.2

am having trouble with quickpwn.
    i can get through all of the steps fine and it says that i have the right firmware.
    its just at the very last step when it puts my ipod into recovery mode and it 'waithing for my ipod to connect in recovery mode' it does absolutly nothing. just sits there. ive waited for about 20 mins and still nothing.
    ive had to restore my ipod 4times because of this.

ive tried doing the steps but my ipod went compltetly dead. there has been no picture of anyhting turn up on my ipod through this process. i managed to restore it tho.

please help
    cheers

Thanks

Um I think that YOU are supposed to put your phone into recovery mode. And if it's 2.2 it should be DFU mode. Make sure you have the right version of quickpwn.

hey guys i used redsnow to jailbreak my 32gb 2g ipod touch with 3.0 and im having a problem with the status bar disappearing. i have to go into an app and exit for it to come back and sometimes i have to restart my ipod. any suggestions?

Thanks

Unique bug, never heard of it. If you've googled and found no similar cases, or no fix, you have to restore and rejailbreak. These processes aren't perfect, shite happens.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bteamer For This Useful Post:

KingChilly (07-03-2009)

oh ok well i just have to do it again like you said. im only having this prob on 3.0. maybe when quickpwn comes out that will fix it?

I just Jailbroken my iPod 2g 3.0 and it went smoothly, but now I can't turn it on. I followed the direction from the first page and it still won't turn back on. Any help?

If you've followed the instructions on the first page, and your device didn't appear to be out of power, then you must of tried restoring. Restore mode should be tried first, if that doesn't work use DFU mode. If DFU mode doesn't work, then there is either a physical problem with your device (since this started with a jailbreaking sequence, it is highly unlikely) or you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast