Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: having trouble with restore??

Default having trouble with restore??
    i have a 2G 8g and firmware(i dunno) maybe 1.0.2 or 1.1.4...now my phone is stuck at the itune/usb wire screen...i try holding down both buttons and still brings me back to that screen...everytime i try to restore it, i get an error...what should i do?? im currently on Tmobile...this phone was unlock b4 but when i try to update to the newer firmware, it will lock..i know that..so right now, im trying to jailbreak and unlock again but the only screen i get is the itune/usb screen...i cant go anywhere else...HELP...thanks

Follow this guide if you are on mac : (you can replace the 2.0 with 2.0.2 and it will still work. To get the pwnage tool, visit blog.iphone-dev.org.

OK, here is what you need to do if you have an iphone 2G with 3.9 bootloader and unlocked using ziphone. Therefore, never been pwned.
    -First, connect your current iphone to itunes. Back up everything. (Sync your accounts).
    -Next, go into user/library/itunes and create a folder named "device support". If its already there, then delete everything in it.
    -Now download the proper 2.0 ipsw file from this forum.
    -Donwload the 3.9 and 4.6 bin files from this forum.
    -Place everything on your desktop.
    -Download Pwnge 2.0
    -Open up pwnge 2.0
    -Select the first option (iphone) but in expert mode
    -browse your computer to locate the 2.0 ipsw file.
    -Next in general tab, use enable baseband update
    -In bootloader, checkmark the box for update the bootloader and checkmark upgrade to 4.6.
    -Finally, pick build and hit the next button.
    -Pwnage will ask you to locate both the 3.9 and 4.6 bin files. Locate them manually (Make sure they were unzipped first)
    -Then it will ask you to find a location to save the new custom ipsw file.
    -Hit save and Pwnage will build the custom firmware in the selected saved location.
    -Pwnage will ask you for your administrative password to finalize the process.
    -Once the process is done, you will get a prompt telling you to plus in your iphone using your usb.
    -Follow the steps on screen to put your phone into DFU mode.
    -Pwnage will tell you it successfully found your phone in DFU mode
    -Next, close Pwnage and open up Itunes.
    -Option click the restore button and locate your new custom firmware.
    -Let itunes do its thing.
    -Once the process is done, your iphone will boot into 2.0 software but don't touch it yet.
    -Bootloader will do its thing by flashing your iphone to the proper baseband (4.6)
    -Do not touch your computer while this is happening even if Itunes is asking you to set up a new iphone.
    -Once the flashing has been done, your phone will be unlocked, activated and jailbroken.
    -If you have two macs like I do, I did the pwnage on one and had my back up on another.
    -Plug in your iphone and itunes should tell you to restore your phone with previous settings (contacts, pictures etc.)
    -Choose, restore and let the iphone get all of your data back.
    -You will notice a new tab for application.
    -Checkmark "sync all applications".
    -Get your apps from the itunes store.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me @ [email protected]

Using Rogers in Canada and the pwnage 2.1 worked flawlessly.
    reply* *

Your mostly likely getting an error because you dont know what firmware you have, when doing a restore you HAVE to use the same version firmware currently installed on the iphone.