+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Failed upgrade to 2.0.2 - iPod out of action

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Hey people, This is my first post and I hope you can help me. A few days ago I restored my iPod Touch to firmware version 1.1.5. Everything worked great.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Failed upgrade to 2.0.2 - iPod out of action
    Hey people,

This is my first post and I hope you can help me. A few days ago I restored my iPod Touch to firmware version 1.1.5. Everything worked great. No jailbreak anymore, etc.

Yesterday I saw the features of the new firmware 2.0.2. I downloaded 'iPod1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw' and used iTunes to upgrade my iPod using the shift key. First it seemed alright. But after some time an error message popped up, telling me, that my iPod can't be upgraded.

Well, I didn't want to give up and pressed the restore button holding my shift key and selected the same file. My iPod was already in recovery mode, since the first try. Again everything seemed to work out great. But then again the same message came up.

Now my iPod is a brick. Not that one which stops at the apple logo - it's not even turning on, even the screen stays turned off.
    When I put it into a computer it recognizes a new usb device (no iPod Touch as usual) and nothing more happens. It seems it's totally flashed.

When I start iTunes it tells me that it found an iPod. But it can't be recognized right and that I have to reconnect it again to the computer. The same reaction on a MacBook.

So what went wrong here and how can I fix it? I had a clean 1.1.5 version and wanted to upgrade to 2.0.2. The ipsw was on an usb-drive, but that's not significant I guess.

Thanks in advance and nice forum by the way.

alex.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

1. Open Itunes.

2. Plug your Touch into the computer.

3. Manually place into DFU mode like this (while Itunes running and plugged in):

1. Hold power button down 5 seconds exactly.
    2. WITHOUT LETTING GO OF POWER BUTTON, hold down the home button (now you have both held down) for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power button, KEEP HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON for around 30 seconds

Itunes should now recognize the Touch if done properly and let you restore.

PS - Load the firmware onto your computer - dont ever use from a portable drive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

becurious.alex (08-26-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow. Thank you for the fast answer.

I put it into DFU mode. iTunes does something and some progress bars appear. But it tells me it cannot reach the update server - of course internet is plugged in.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

That just means the server is "having issues" for some reason. Has nothing to do with your Itouch. I would try again in a bit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay. Sounds logical. Let's hope they passes quick.

Alex.
    Last edited by becurious.alex; 08-26-2008 at 09:13 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After 2 days of trying I get a little curious about the whole thing.

iTunes tells everytime I turn my iTouch into DFU mode: "The iPod software update server could not be contacted. An unknown error occured (-185)."

That's what it keeps saying. The problem is that my laptop is the only computer I can turn it into DFU mode. On other machines I get the usual error message, that I have to reconnect the iPod (error -3).

I can't image that there's something wrong with the update servers for so long. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

alex.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hei,

I found a solution for my problem:

I downloaded the new WinPwn 2.5 Beta and created a custom .ipsw. Followed the instructions and BAM! It set my iPod into recovery mode. I restored it using the customized .ipsw and everything works again.

Thanks for helping me. Guess this thread can be closed then.

Alex