Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 to automatically update?

Exclamation 1.1.3 to automatically update?
    I just got done reading this article at WinAndMac and the last line says "In the meantime, all of us should beware that iPhone automatically upgrade to 1.1.3. You should unlock iPhone with caution."

Does this mean that the firmware will automatically update when released like an over-the-air update (as in the sidekicks)??

If so, we can expect a ton of people with unlocked 1.1.1 iphones to be really pissed off.

Can Apple really do something like this? In Germany they have unlocked iphones that run on t mobile, so if an update like this were to occur, those phones that were legitimately purchased would be bricked as well correct?

Someone tell me I misread it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You read it right. Say it ain't so!

As far as i know they cant make you update and id be VERY surprised if they did and how's it gunna update without an Internet connection anyways :P

Thanks

You didn't miss read, I think they miss wrote. Automated updates (without user approval) is a violation of privacy rights. I'm pretty sure it will be business as usual. When 1.1.3 comes out, iTunes will tell you "Hey there's a new version, do you want to download?" Ok or Cancel.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

I think the author used Google language tools to translate from his native language
    To live, you have to lie

iPhone? More like MyPhone cosmoLV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You didn't miss read, I think they miss wrote. Automated updates (without user approval) is a violation of privacy rights. I'm pretty sure it will be business as usual. When 1.1.3 comes out, iTunes will tell you "Hey there's a new version, do you want to download?" Ok or Cancel.
    Thats true, nothing changes - Ok or Cancel (thats your choice)
    No Automatic updates... But Propably new iTunes version/update come out - i just think on reading - This
    Last edited by cosmoLV; 01-04-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Carrier: LV LMT
    Runing On FW: 2.0 BL 3.9
    -------------------------------------

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How is that possible?
    This is a simple answer of thinking about the question. If you have at&t then it might be possible to do an over the air update. I highly doubt that just for the fact of the firmware is over a 150mb. The company's cell towers would just gridlock. Also for people like me who do not have at&t it is physically impossible to do an over the air update because they don't have our phone information stored on there networks like those who actually have at&t and they can't find us on other carriers. So if you think about it...the over the air update is just total bull crap.
    Last edited by chris52204; 01-04-2008 at 02:34 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cybergeek2021's Avatar
    Thanks

it is just impossible to do an o.t.a. update
    Like what you see... Click on the "Thanks" Button!

It would be illegal for them to automatically update as I am sure that they want to brick unlocked phones, but as they said in update 1.1.1, it was not illegal because they have a choice. In other words, they would force us to break our 400$ (for me 600€ =( ) device which would be the same as forcing u to throw ur phone onto the floor

Written on my iphone in bed
    previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iWant 1.1.1 View Post
    Written on my iphone in bed
    Please tell us you don't have a box of tissues beside you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Please tell us you don't have a box of tissues beside you.

Hahahaha LOL
    and no I don't in case u were really asking
    previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

OTA without user approval hmmmm .. but .. it will have to ask the user to accept or decline the ota before nething ..

_ don need to worri about OTA's On T-Mobile
    Last edited by jayc7176; 01-04-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: infoo

Over the air update sounds rather scary, but does anyone recall the update that allowed the send to web gallery addon? Wasn't that done over the air? I mean why would OTA updates be illegal? If it is done to better a products features or perhaps stop us all from jailbreaking our phones. Where would the legal issues arise from? Perhaps I am wrong here but I just do not see it. better yet I hope I am wrong because I would be dissapointed if they did this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Over the air update sounds rather scary, but does anyone recall the update that allowed the send to web gallery addon? Wasn't that done over the air? I mean why would OTA updates be illegal? If it is done to better a products features or perhaps stop us all from jailbreaking our phones. Where would the legal issues arise from? Perhaps I am wrong here but I just do not see it. better yet I hope I am wrong because I would be dissapointed if they did this.
    OTA updates are not illegal. Doing them without your knowledge or consent is illegal, under the Privacy Act.

If the update is OTA that would make sense for it to be released and announced during mac world so that everyone at macworld could immediately update their phones instead of taking them home or whatever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ankitsid's Avatar
    Thanks

do u think there will be a 1.1.3 or somthing new for the itouch?