Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore and Update Error 1604

Default Restore and Update Error 1604
    What does it mean when you get a error saying "Your Ipod, Ipod cannot be restored. An unknown error has occured(1604)

I got that error and found some info about update itunes to make it work. I did "downdate" to try to solve another issue but at the end I update to itunes 7.6.2 and it work. Error 1604 dissapear, besides iLiberty+, independence and pwnage works great with itunes 7.6.2

Thanks

Put it into DFU mode, hold the power/lock and home button until the iTunes logo comes up.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

My 1604 problem

New iphone, unactivated. Used pwnage.
    pwnage completed all stages successfully and finished by confirming "Succesfully built custom ..."

Phone should now have been in recovery mode

Itunes opened telling me that I did not have internet access. I gave it access.

I had to manually put phone into recovery mode.
    Itunes opened. When I attempted to restore with the custom ipsw file (by clicking alt restore), after about 1 min I got the 1604 'unrecognised error'.

I have followed instructions from several posts about this problem with no success.

*** Can I click the standard restore (from itunes), will this reset the phone back to standard and I can start again with pwnage?
    *** Can I start again with pwnage, without restore?

Some background information / details of what I have tried:

Mac was on battery power not mains (I did not realise). With PC I had problems with usb interfaces that would not work on battery power.

Original ipsw file and custom file were both loading from flash drive.

I copied ipsw file to the mac hard disc, removed flash drive and tried again - same 1604

I read that restore may work on a pc with XP. Tried that with itunes verision is 7.6.2.9 - still 1604

I read that powering up in dfu mode should work. (hold sleep and home on pwr up). PC recognised that iphone was in dfu mode (indicated in task bar). - still get 1604 error.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

ColinK
    Last edited by colink; 04-23-2008 at 03:31 AM. Reason: adding info

Try to restart your computer, or reload iTunes a couple times. Or, just be persistant w/ it. I get that 1604 error a couple times, but after trying to DFU restore it, it usually works (after 3-4 tries).
    Give credit where credit is due, press "thank you"
    When all else fails, put it into restore mode!!!
    Remember, Google is your best friend. And so is YouTube!!!
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How...ty_or_iLbertyX Enjoy the guide.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to doomsayer97 For This Useful Post:

Smallz (04-24-2008)

Just use iPHUC...