Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod not recognized 'an unkown error occurred'

Default iPod not recognized 'an unkown error occurred'
    Hello friends! I have a jailbroken iPod Touch 4g 64Gb. We recently bought a couple newer computers (laptop and desktop) to upgrade our hardware and software (Vista....yuck). Anyway, the computer I originally had synced with is now obsolete and I would like to be able to sync to my new desktop (running windows 7). I moved all of my music and libraries to the new desktop, downloaded iTunes, started it up, music loaded into iTunes automatically. Plugged in my iPod, and got this error message: "iTunes could not connect to this iPod. An unknown error occurred (0E8000012)." I've looked for info on this error message and haven't really found a whole lot on it. Basically it sounds like I might need to restore my iPod and re-jailbreak it. Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas on something that would work? Thanks!

P.S. - I did try plugging it into my laptop (Win 7), and got the same error message.

I don't think you can use iTunes and sync it with our iPod because your iPod is jailbroken - hence the error you are being returned

Thanks
    Thanked 15,539 Times in 7,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wyman View Post
    I don't think you can use iTunes and sync it with our iPod because your iPod is jailbroken - hence the error you are being returned
    Being jailbroken has no bearing on being able to sync with itunes, never has.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeebs View Post
    Hello friends! I have a jailbroken iPod Touch 4g 64Gb. We recently bought a couple newer computers (laptop and desktop) to upgrade our hardware and software (Vista....yuck). Anyway, the computer I originally had synced with is now obsolete and I would like to be able to sync to my new desktop (running windows 7). I moved all of my music and libraries to the new desktop, downloaded iTunes, started it up, music loaded into iTunes automatically. Plugged in my iPod, and got this error message: "iTunes could not connect to this iPod. An unknown error occurred (0E8000012)." I've looked for info on this error message and haven't really found a whole lot on it. Basically it sounds like I might need to restore my iPod and re-jailbreak it. Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas on something that would work? Thanks!

P.S. - I did try plugging it into my laptop (Win 7), and got the same error message.
    Only thing I could find on that error was deleting the backup files on your computer and then trying to sync and make a new backup again. Not sure if it will work though and you should probably just copy your backup folder somewhere else before deleting just in case.

When you say delete the backup files, do you mean on the new computer?

Sorry to sound like a complete noob but where do I find the backup files? Thanks for your help by the way.

Thanks

\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Folder was completely empty.

Thanks

Guess that wasn't it then. Don't know what else it could be sorry. That's all I came up with a quick search of that error.

Here's something interesting; Just plugged in my wife's 32, non jailbroken ios 6 ipod and it came up no problem...I don't really want to have to restore my ipod because I like having the untethered jailbreak, but if that's what I need to do to get it synced with this computer, I guess I will live.

tried a few different things; deleted 'Lockdown' folder, found somewhere the 'reset network settings' would do it (figured it would n't help; it didn't), stop AMD services and checked to make sure the Startup was set to Automatic. Also read it has something to do with a Cydia addon (Safari downloader I believe?) but i did not try that yet. Nothing has worked. Very frustrating. Running ios 5.1.1 (jailbroken) on win 7. itunes version 10.6.3.25.

I've also seen that going into DFU mode and restoring will work but i'm really trying to avoid a restore.

Thanks

You can extract your SHSH from the device with redsnow so that you can restore to 5.1.1 and still be able to jailbreak.

Awesome. I will try that. Thanks!

Still havin issues with this. decided to take the plunge and just go ahead and go up to 6.0.1. Since my computers don't recognize my iPod in iTunes, I did it over wi-fi. Well there was an unknown error (of course!) and it did not update. Went back into settings to try it again, it just sits with the screen saying "looking for update". So frustrated with this thing.

GOT IT!!!!! Used iFile, navigated to /var/root/library and deleted the Lockdown folder there. Reboot, Re-'set-up' your device, and plug it in to your computer. Viola!
    Last edited by jpeebs; 11-20-2012 at 07:26 PM.