+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch and Winterboard Issues on 5.0?

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
I will be updating my iPod to 5.0 today (hopefully) and I've been doing some research on the effects of it. I read that Winterboard would have some issues running
    Thanks

Default iPod Touch and Winterboard Issues on 5.0?
    I will be updating my iPod to 5.0 today (hopefully) and I've been doing some research on the effects of it. I read that Winterboard would have some issues running and that there would be a fix. Most of the articles I read were for 5.0.1, so my questions are that would I see this issue on 5.0? Would I need to download the fix? What if the fix does not work?
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

What generation iPod Touch?

The only problem I have with iOS 5 is that it uses up lots of RAM with the stupid Notification Center - RAM the iPod simply doesn't have. I've found that I can only run one or two programs at a time, which blows.

On top of that the SpringBoard does not run smoothly on iOS 5+jailbreak - the only way to fix this (that I know of) is by using Barrel from Cydia.

If your iPod is running smoothly on 4.X, then don't bother - The only reason I did was to update my theme.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    What generation iPod Touch?

The only problem I have with iOS 5 is that it uses up lots of RAM with the stupid Notification Center - RAM the iPod simply doesn't have. I've found that I can only run one or two programs at a time, which blows.

On top of that the SpringBoard does not run smoothly on iOS 5+jailbreak - the only way to fix this (that I know of) is by using Barrel from Cydia.

If your iPod is running smoothly on 4.X, then don't bother - The only reason I did was to update my theme.
    Yah Barrel does a very good job of disguising the not so smooth between pages (I've used it myself) You can actually disable Notification Center from SpringTomize 2 if you hate it that much. @The Amazing Atheist 5.0 is a really good firmware in my opinion, It modernizes everything and makes it nicer. 95% of stuff on Cydia is updated for 5.0.1 too, So you'll never have compatibility issues either. Overall 5.0.1 is worth it.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    Yah Barrel does a very good job of disguising the not so smooth between pages (I've used it myself) You can actually disable Notification Center from SpringTomize 2 if you hate it that much. @The Amazing Atheist 5.0 is a really good firmware in my opinion, It modernizes everything and makes it nicer. 95% of stuff on Cydia is updated for 5.0.1 too, So you'll never have compatibility issues either. Overall 5.0.1 is worth it.
    Yep, barrel FTW!!! I thought it was just my iPod for some reason. And does that springtomize disable NC option really free up RAM? Or does it just disable the gesture?

Thanks

It just disables the gesture, as far as I know
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

As far as I've heard, It only shuts it off. I believe there's a tweak to completely remove it though...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Some winterboard themes may not function correctly, especially the ones that use html. For me, some of the themes that come with Winterboard don't even work for me.

I also found a Backgrounder compatibility tweak the makes it work with ios5.

Also, be careful upgrading as Apple stopped signing ios 5.0.1 days (weeks?) ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calypto View Post
    Some winterboard themes may not function correctly, especially the ones that use html. For me, some of the themes that come with Winterboard don't even work for me.

I also found a Backgrounder compatibility tweak the makes it work with ios5.

Also, be careful upgrading as Apple stopped signing ios 5.0.1 days (weeks?) ago.
    Yeah, You'll have to get other packages to use Activator (The developer stopped working on it) and it's now open source so people can update it. And yes Apple stopped signing 5.0.1 weeks ago.