Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: increasing ram on ipod touch (4G model)

Default increasing ram on ipod touch (4G model)
    hello, I need help opening ram up on my ipod touch. It is ALWAYS running fairly low on ram and It really starts to annoy me so I'd like some suggestions on what I can do.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Clean up ya tweaks the was ya don't use delete them. All keep all ya apps closed should help with ya ram.

Thanks

If your iPod is jailbroken the SBSettings app is a good tool for freeing up RAM and quitting inactive apps.
    --
    This world is as much yours as anybody else's. Don't let them steal it from you and drive you to servitude.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agree^^^^

And you can git weekillbackground kills all ya apps with one click

ok yea it is jailbroken and i do use SBsettings and it works pretty well but i was talking about opening up even more RAM then SBsettings can (if possible)

I have had the same problem too. I only had the jailbreak and SBSettings installed and it would seem to run fine for a couple days. After that, it didn't matter what I would do, but I couldn't get more than about 3 pages to load in Safari before it would crash. It was almost like I was getting a huge memory leak from the jailbreak. It is so bad that I said screw it and am just running the stock OS. The thing that really sucks is my iPod was just swapped out by Apple and I can't even go back to 4.3.3 now.

You could also remove some launch daemons and remove the language packs from the iPods apps and framework. If you want a guide search around the forum there is a cydia package that removes the unnessassary launch daemons but the only way i know to remove language packs is manually. I did both of these and it opened up a fair amount of ram. Sorry about the lack of punctuation and capitalization as I'm typing on my iPod and im too lazy to punctuate. Edit: Sorry about the bump didn't see the date of the last post.
    Last edited by Pecans; 03-06-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Is there a way to get more space on an ipod 4.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciet View Post
    Is there a way to get more space on an ipod 4.3.3
    There's not a way to get more Space but you can make more of it available. And by space i'm assuming you mean RAM.

I have a similar issue with memory. I have removed the lang packs but not the launch daemons. My issue is that I have put the RAM indicator on my status bar and with all or most of my processes shut down, i can see the memory go from 146mb to 7mb and then back up within a 20 to 40 sec spam. I cannot seem to find out what is causing this issue.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

You can open up more RAM by using the Multi Task Gestures the iPod has built into it. Inactive apps in the backround can cause lots of lag. You also may be running short due to the jailbreak itself as it constantly uses a jailbreak process in the backround that is nesscary.

Default Possible Solution
    I have exchange installed on my PC retrieving Mail and "CONTACTS" - This seemed to be causing the problem with the memory going haywire. My contacts accidentally synced automatically with my work outlook contacts causing my contacts lists to be upwards in the 15,000 range. With my phone trying to rec'v these contacts, it was killing my VM. Once I unchecked "Contacts" within Exchange, my memory went back to normal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mobile substrate causes lag due to its tweaks. Uninstall Mobile Substrate and it will uninstall anything that requires it. Limit yourself to tweaks that do not require MS.

The task switcher also uses RAM to remember which applications are/were running, even if they aren't.

You can also disable Spotlight features and your device won't spend CPU cycles on indexing the search.
    Last edited by Calypto; 04-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Mobile Substrate! I completely forgot about that one! Yes Mobile Substrate does take up ALOT of RAM so if you don't need it you're better off deleting it. Thanks for mentioning that @Calypto
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No problem, that is my main theory of why jailbreaking makes your device "slow." Many people fail to realize that giving extended user permissions does not slow you down.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg View Post
    hello, I need help opening ram up on my ipod touch. It is ALWAYS running fairly low on ram and It really starts to annoy me so I'd like some suggestions on what I can do.
    There is definitely a way to use your normal Hard Disk Space to be available for RAM, but the consequences may turn you away. When using ram, the speed of ram is much faster then the normal hard drive, therefore if the hard drive is being used will ultimately fail faster than normal. All in all, it all depends on how much space you take up, I have a 32 Gig iPod touch 4G and I modified my memory to hold 2 gigabytes of ram in all and it is as fast as the leading top end devices such as the Galaxy S III.

Go to this site for more info on how to do this just delete the parentheses
    http://forums(.)macrumors(.)com/show...)php?t=1086197
    Stay cool and Mod on !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeltdown View Post
    There is definitely a way to use your normal Hard Disk Space to be available for RAM, but the consequences may turn you away. When using ram, the speed of ram is much faster then the normal hard drive, therefore if the hard drive is being used will ultimately fail faster than normal. All in all, it all depends on how much space you take up, I have a 32 Gig iPod touch 4G and I modified my memory to hold 2 gigabytes of ram in all and it is as fast as the leading top end devices such as the Galaxy S III.

Go to this site for more info on how to do this just delete the parentheses
    http://forums(.)macrumors(.)com/show...)php?t=1086197
    Stay cool and Mod on !
    You have no idea what you are talking about.