+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi Connection Problem

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
I've just recently been having a problem with my Wi-Fi on my iPod Touch 3rd generation. Today, I was tweaking around with MyWi 4.0, when my network was down. Now
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Chibichuba's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Connection Problem
    I've just recently been having a problem with my Wi-Fi on my iPod Touch 3rd generation. Today, I was tweaking around with MyWi 4.0, when my network was down. Now occasionally, my iPod will disconnect from the internet, and I must reconnect with it again from settings > wifi. I know its my device because it works on my laptop. I was also at Starbucks today, and it did the same thing. It's my device, not the connection. Any suggestions or help on how to fix this?

Thanks, Chibichuba

If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!------------------------------------ v v v v v v

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not too sure why you installed MyWi 4.0 on an iPod touch, but it could very well be the problem here. MyWi does intrude itself into your network configuration settings and if used incorrectly will wreak havoc. I recommend a restore, and not just a regular restore, but a complete restore. To do this, put your device into DFU mode first before restoring to iOS 4.2.1.

To put your iPod into DFU mode, hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, letting go of the lock button but continuing to hold menu until iTunes recognizes the device with the message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes". Your screen should be pitch black at this point and should not show the connect to iTunes screen. If it does you messed up.

The DFU restore is different than the general restore. A general restore will set all settings back to defaults while a DFU restore completely expunges the device then re-injects the iOS operating system into it. Your WiFi will work after the restore this way, if it doesn't your iPod has a hardware problem and you should contact Apple if it's still under warranty. If not, it may be time to consider a new one.

Before starting the DFU restore, make sure your hosts file is correctly configured. AND that you have 4.2.1 SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

In Windows Vista+7, go to the start menu, find notepad, right click it and click 'run as administrator'. From there click File > open. Navigate to Computer>Local Disk C>Windows>System32>drivers>etc. You may need to use the drop down menu to switch your view from .txt files to 'All files'. Open the hosts file and confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save.

In Mac OS X, go to spotlight, find terminal and open it. Enter, "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts". Hit enter, then enter your password. Confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save by pressing Ctrl + O and hitting enter. Then hit Cmd + Q and hit enter.

Once your hosts file is configured and you have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia, you are good to go to perform the restore. Editing the hosts file makes iTunes communicate with Cydia instead of Apple. This means Cydia will sign the outdated software for you as Apple will not.

Get the iOS 4.2.1 firmware here and Shift + Click restore (windows), Option + Click restore (mac os x) in iTunes to perform the restore, point to the firmware you downloaded, hit enter, and you are good to go. Just rejailbreak and don't install MyWi 4.0 this time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    ChSchuldiner
    Last edited by ChSchuldiner; 07-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Chibichuba's Avatar
    Thanks

I solved the problem by removing MyWi and then rebooting, then snycing with iTunes. I didn't have to restore. MyWi doesn't work on the iPod Touch? I'm pretty sure I heard it does. Thanks though.

If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!------------------------------------ v v v v v v