Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about battery life

mydisplaycare
    Default Question about battery life
    I have an ipod touch (4g) and I was just wondering what the normal battery life is, or how long you should wait between charges. I heard that the iphone battery wears out quickly, esp if you play games. Is it the same for this?

Yea when you play games on an iPod touch, it drains the battery reallly quickly. If you turn your brightness down, it should help. Like I can play games for probably 2-3 hours on my old iPod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipodnew842 For This Useful Post:

mydisplaycare
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    Yea when you play games on an iPod touch, it drains the battery reallly quickly. If you turn your brightness down, it should help. Like I can play games for probably 2-3 hours on my old iPod
    Thanks! I also heard that you should return to homepage rather than have apps running, before you press the sleep/wake button, that saves battery. In addition, before you sleep, you should also manually close the programs, otherwise they would still be running in the background.

Great tips! keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by mydisplaycare View Post
    Thanks! I also heard that you should return to homepage rather than have apps running, before you press the sleep/wake button, that saves battery. In addition, before you sleep, you should also manually close the programs, otherwise they would still be running in the background.

Great tips! keep it up
    Normally, those things shouldn't make much difference, unless you're using jailbroken applications that don't cooperate with the builtin powersaving features.

Things that really drain power: WiFi, Bluetooth, Screen brightness.

To maximize the battery runtime for your current usage:
    • Keep the screen as dim as you can comfortably read.
    • Turn off WiFi unless you need it.
    • Turn off BT unless you need it

To maximize battery longevity, to maintain its capacity over its lifetime:
    Keep it cool.
    • Don't charge if its perceptibly warm to the touch
    • Don't USE if its warm to the touch. Turn it off and let it cool.
    • Don't keep it continuously charged at close to max capacity:
      let the battery drain out while you use it, and only charge when the battery is around 10-20% empty.
    • Don't let it drain out to empty:
      full discharge cycles (100% -> 0%) also degrade battery capacity.

Those may be an unreasonable set of conditions.

In my experience, the degradation over a 2-3 year span isn't too significant if you do occasionally let it overheat, and if you do charge it more often than ideal but I don't have hard numbers for that. Neither will cause immediate harm, but both affect the shape of the curve over time.

Some of the info on this page is a bit old, but I have yet to find anything better (and more accurate)
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University