Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod touch 4g playback questions

Default iPod touch 4g playback questions
    Okay so this is kind of an all inclusive question but I'm big into jailbreaking on the iPod and I like the idea of total use of my iPod without iTunes. So far I have it set up quite nicely, except I have several downloaded torrent files in the fkv filetype. Naturally these files are stored in ifile, and what I need to know is, is there a way to either convert the video ON my iPod without the use of a computer, or is there a player that I can open and play fkv files from ifile(all other players require the file to be in the iPod video library app)? And if nothing else, is there any way to transfer these video files into the video app WITHOUT the use of a comp? I know how to do these things with a comp so please only answers pertaining to my actual questions.

Mewseek is good for songs. Yourtube for videos (it also comes with gremlin)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPhillatio View Post
    Okay so this is kind of an all inclusive question but I'm big into jailbreaking on the iPod and I like the idea of total use of my iPod without iTunes. So far I have it set up quite nicely, except I have several downloaded torrent files in the fkv filetype. Naturally these files are stored in ifile, and what I need to know is, is there a way to either convert the video ON my iPod without the use of a computer, or is there a player that I can open and play fkv files from ifile(all other players require the file to be in the iPod video library app)? And if nothing else, is there any way to transfer these video files into the video app WITHOUT the use of a comp? I know how to do these things with a comp so please only answers pertaining to my actual questions.
    Yes, you can convert them on your iPod. I don't recommend it because the conversion will take a while. Ffmpeg is optimized for a desktop or similar system. Basically a system with a CPU that has MMX or SSE or SSE2 or SSE3 extensions, or their AMD equivalents.

If you're serious about it, you'll need to download ffmpeg and you'll also need mobile terminal installed. You can find both on Cydia. The file will need to be in one of the supported formats and bit rates, so you may want to hit up Apple's iPod touch specs page for all the nitty gritty details.

ffmpeg is the actual converter, and you'll need mobile terminal to feed ffmpeg the instructions. You can google information about which instructions to use to get ffmpeg to convert the video.

As far as getting the video to appear in the video app, I still haven't figured that part out yet. However, when the video is converted, you can tell ifile to play the video.