+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 4th Gen with Inferior Retina Display

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Hey guys, I just found out today that the new iPod Touch does NOT use the same IPS display as the iPhone. You can see that the viewing angle (of
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 832 Posts

Exclamation iPod Touch 4th Gen with Inferior Retina Display
    Hey guys, I just found out today that the new iPod Touch does NOT use the same IPS display as the iPhone.

You can see that the viewing angle (of the device on the right, above) is just as poor as last year's iPod model.

Here's Apple's description of IPS technology:

"The iPhone 4 Retina display uses technology called IPS (in-plane switching) — the same technology used in the Apple LED Cinema Display and iPad — to achieve a wider viewing angle than on typical LCDs. Which means you can hold iPhone 4 almost any way you want and still get a brilliant picture. That’s perfect when you’re sharing photos with a friend or moving your iPhone around while playing a driving or flying game. In addition, the Retina display offers four times the contrast ratio of previous models, so whites are brighter, blacks are darker, and everything is more beautiful."

And here's what Steve Jobs said during his keynote speech:

"The new iPod touch has our amazing Retina Display in it, the same thing we pioneered with the iPhone. It’s got four times the number of pixels; at 326 pixels per inch you can’t even discern the individual pixels! It’s a remarkable display: 24-bit color, LED-backlit; it is the best display in the world. And that’s what everyone had said who’s seen it on the iPhone. It is now in the iPod touch."

Ok, so does it really matter? I don't know, I haven't seen the iPod 4's screen in person. It may be indistinguishable. But I DO know that Apple can't be trusted. They'll do their best to keep information from you if they think it will affect their sales. These are called "Lies of Omission", and is yet another reason to be wary of Apple's ethically-questionable business practices.

The most disgusting part of this is that Steve Jobs got up there and KNEW that the iPod Touch does not have the same screen as the iPhone 4, but he deftly, nimbly worked the words around it to make it seem like it did. I was reported for days afterward that the new iPod touch would have the exact same screen as the iPhone 4, and that's exactly what Jobs wanted!

I bought the new iPod Touch as soon as it was release for pre-order, and now I feel like a sucker. I'm sure I'll enjoy my purchase for what it's worth, but giving such a horrible company my money makes me feel more than a little ill, and very frustrated.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think it's just like the one in the iPhone. We haven't seeing it so we can't say anything. I'll just wait and see what happens if it is then merry Christmas if not then..... Well I'll still be buying apple things cause I'm an aplee fan boy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by endwaro View Post
    I think it's just like the one in the iPhone. We haven't seeing it so we can't say anything. I'll just wait and see what happens if it is then merry Christmas if not then..... Well I'll still be buying apple things cause I'm an aplee fan boy
    Well, I'm still holding out a tiny sliver of hope -- the floor models may have contained older versions of the Retina Display. But, then again, if they actually had an IPS display, why isn't Apple saying so on it's website?

The worst part is that the media isn't getting to the bottom of this. The media is suppose to act as citizen (and consumer) protection for us. Why is there not an army of reporters beating down Steve Job's door and demanding answers? Don't people have the right to know exactly what they're buying? Why do reporters just settle for the crumbs Jobs shakes out of his shirt?

Anyway, my new iPod should be here within the next two days, I'll respond back here to let you all know how the viewing angle is.

Thanks

Just received my iPod 4th Gen in the mail (2 day shipping, from China!) and I must say that my fears were very overblown (though I stand by my ethical considerations).

This screen is gorgeous. It certainly turns shades of blue when held at an angle, which kind of blows, but straight-on it's amazing. I absolutely would have paid the difference for the iPhone IPS screen, but this is certainly worthy of the Retina Display name.

Better yet, it's FAST. It kills my iPod Touch 2G in terms of responsiveness and loading times, and I guess Categories and CategoriesSB is no longer needed. I was playing a game on it, Nanofighter, and it was so responsive it was kind of hard to play -- it controlled TOO well -- I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Man, ok, I'm off to play with it some more. C'MON JAILBREAK! I can't wait to see what my custom mods look like on this!