Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Won't restore

Thanks
    Default Won't restore
    So I've been trying to restore my iPod a few times now, every time I get an 'unknown error' message. I've put it into DFU mode and still no luck. Any ideas?

hmmm that is strange that your iPod is not restoring. A few things you can try is:
    Switching computers
    restarting your computer
    switching usb ports
    and switching between recovery and dfu mode
    If you try the things listed above you should get success I have had this error before to. Make sure you are entering dfu mode right as well you can check this guide for a reference.DFU Reference Guide

Thanks

What's the # of the error message?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks
    Its error #28? I don't know what that means. And i'll try DFU mode again.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Try recovery instead and this is what apple says error 28 is:

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks
    I've tried every kind of restore...DFU then restore...jailbreak then restore...EVERYTHING. Nothing seems to work. It throws me an error right before the software begins to download. I found a few good leads on this forum but none of them worked for me. I really don't know where do go from here....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Try recovery instead and this is what apple says error 28 is:

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.

Thanks

Assuming that you have tried restoring from another machine, this may be a hardware issue, judging by error 28. Take it to your local apple store and show them, they will probably replace it if you don't mention it's jailbroken.

Thanks
    I bought it off eBay, so would they replace it even if it's not under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Assuming that you have tried restoring from another machine, this may be a hardware issue, judging by error 28. Take it to your local apple store and show them, they will probably replace it if you don't mention it's jailbroken.

Thanks

O my apologizes I did not realize it was used. In any case #28 indicates hardware failure, in this case it sounds like logic board sorry man