Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want to play Spotify in the car

Default I want to play Spotify in the car
    Hi,

I have a Toyota Avensis with an iPod-adapter. When I connect my iPod touch to the adapter, the iPod appear as a CD-changer, where each playlist corresponds to a playlist on the iPod.

I also have a Spotify premium subscription, meaning that I can have offline playlists on the iPod (I now have several Gbs of Spotify-music on the iPod). So naturally, I would like to play that music in the car, but that's when the problems begin.

I connect the iPod to the car stereo, and start the Spotify-app. Spotify starts playing, and everything works fine until the first song ends. Then Spotify stops, and the internal music player starts instead. This happens every time a song ends, or I try to jump to the next song.

I then tried to remove all (mp3/aac) music on the iPod, so the internal player wouldn't have anything to play. But then the car stereo claimed there wasn't any CDs in the "CD-changer", so it wasn't possible to select the iPod as a source.

Next I jailbroke the iPod and installed Backgrounder. The idea was that if I had just one mp3-file on the iPod, consisting of just silence, the internal music player could play that one, while Spotify was running in the background, playing the music I wanted to hear. However, the same thing happened. Spotify plays one song, then the internal music player starts (playing just silence...) and Spotify stops playing.

So that's where I am at the moment, and now I've run out of ideas. I really, really want to be able to play Spotify in the car. If anyone has an idea for how to solve this, I would be very happy.

I think the easiest option for you would be to get an AUX to iPod dock connector cable and use the AUX for music.. it should works. Or get a different iPod adapter for your radio that allows control over your iPod when it's plugged in or has an AUX in connection.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by kln View Post
    Hi,

I have a Toyota Avensis with an iPod-adapter. When I connect my iPod touch to the adapter, the iPod appear as a CD-changer, where each playlist corresponds to a playlist on the iPod.

I also have a Spotify premium subscription, meaning that I can have offline playlists on the iPod (I now have several Gbs of Spotify-music on the iPod). So naturally, I would like to play that music in the car, but that's when the problems begin.

I connect the iPod to the car stereo, and start the Spotify-app. Spotify starts playing, and everything works fine until the first song ends. Then Spotify stops, and the internal music player starts instead. This happens every time a song ends, or I try to jump to the next song.

I then tried to remove all (mp3/aac) music on the iPod, so the internal player wouldn't have anything to play. But then the car stereo claimed there wasn't any CDs in the "CD-changer", so it wasn't possible to select the iPod as a source.

Next I jailbroke the iPod and installed Backgrounder. The idea was that if I had just one mp3-file on the iPod, consisting of just silence, the internal music player could play that one, while Spotify was running in the background, playing the music I wanted to hear. However, the same thing happened. Spotify plays one song, then the internal music player starts (playing just silence...) and Spotify stops playing.

So that's where I am at the moment, and now I've run out of ideas. I really, really want to be able to play Spotify in the car. If anyone has an idea for how to solve this, I would be very happy.
    I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to resolve this?

Default music
    Quote Originally Posted by kln View Post
    Hi,

Hi
    Spotify isn't available in my country!
    Have found tv243.com a great alternative for internet radio,
    it shuffles music videos, not only the songs.

Cool spotify in the car
    I have the Audi MMI system and had a very similar problem. When I connected my iphone the Audi system would always play the first track in the ipod section of the iphone or resume the last played track. There is no way of stopping the music, only pausing when the volume is muted. So when any other music app is launched it is overridden by the Audi system.
    I have finally found a way round this problem and it may work for other cars with a similar problem!
    First jailbreak your iphone or ipod touch, install "backgrounder" and then install the brilliant "ProSwitcher" (both from cydia). ProSwitcher is a great little app that allows you to easily switch between "backgrounded" apps but also has the ability to kill running apps quickly including the ipod app.
    So simply connect iphone to the car, wait for the audi system in start playing a track, launch proswitcher (can be set to launch with a double tap of the home key), kill the ipod app with the x on the top left corner of the preview, then launch the spotify app.

There are lots of other apps that allow you to kill running apps but i found ProSwitcher to be a very slick and quick solution.

Hope this works with other car's systems!

Wasn't sure to revive a dead thread or post a new one.

I have a 2012 civic si that has a usb port that works well with my ipod touch. I want to put spotify premium offline cache on it, but i'm not sure the full compatibility on it.

do you still need to jailbreak it and install backgrounder and proswitcher? and do you have to kill the ipod app every time you get in the car? i'm used to starting the car and going and it instantly playing my music, i don't want to have to deal with touching the ipod every time before i make a short trip.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrkiter View Post
    I have finally found a way round this problem and it may work for other cars with a similar problem!
    First jailbreak your iphone or ipod touch, install "backgrounder" and then install the brilliant "ProSwitcher" (both from cydia). ProSwitcher is a great little app that allows you to easily switch between "backgrounded" apps but also has the ability to kill running apps quickly including the ipod app.
    So simply connect iphone to the car, wait for the audi system in start playing a track, launch proswitcher (can be set to launch with a double tap of the home key), kill the ipod app with the x on the top left corner of the preview, then launch the spotify app.
    Hi Pwrkiter,

Many thanks for posting this solution!
    I also have an Audi with an iPod connector. I've followed your instructions and installed backgrounder and proswitcher. I am able to kill the iPod music app, but it keeps relaunching continuously. Which settings are you using that prevent the iPod music app from starting?