+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi Antenna

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
Does anyone else find it odd that the iPod Touch has a visible wifi antenna? Why isn't the iPhone's wifi the same way? I have a funny feeling it could
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Antenna
    Does anyone else find it odd that the iPod Touch has a visible wifi antenna? Why isn't the iPhone's wifi the same way? I have a funny feeling it could be for add ons like a...camera. Take a second, look at where the camera is on the iPhone. Ok, now where is the wifi antenna on the iPod Touch, oh man the same spot.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The antenna on the ipod touch is in the left top side, the iphone's antenna is where the black part of the iphone is...

And i think it IS funny that the antenna is at the bottom of the phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I understand that but why would the make it stand out, when most if not all there products are very sleek. Yes the black on the iPhone houses the GSM, WIFI, speakers and whatever else but why the antenna on the touch?

Thanks

Do you mean why its "plastic" black? and not the same silver thingy ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes, looking like it could be taken off and replaced...

Thanks

Oh, i think it "detects" signals better... i actually have never seen an antenna covered by anything but plastic

Thanks

You don't think that the metal might dampen the signal a little bit? Plastic might let certain types of radio waves pass through easier.. ;-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, but I thought in a sense these products were identical with out key features, same PCBs and LCD. I would just venture to guess they are almost identical inside except for the SSD (16GB) Wouldnt they leave the wifi in the same general area for production costs. I just thought I would try to raise questions and hope for something cool to come of it

I actually have heard the bluetooth chip is in the touch but it has been disabled for "unknown reasons".
    Last edited by Ronix; 09-11-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

No, they are not in the same location. While they run the same OS, they are 2 different devices. In fact, they even have different measurements!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good one, no way they have different measurements? DUH, Its because the iPod Touch is missing key features. Mic, External Speakers, GSM antenna, Camera, slims it down a bit buddy

Green Apple
    Thanks

The touch is actually WIDER than the iphone by a bit. Everyone is saying it's an iphone without the phone but IT's NOT! It's very similar indeed and the OS is very similar, but the form facter and mb are different. and no there will not be interchangable parts. the black plastic is to let the wifi signals through, 2.4ghz bounces off metal VERY easy it would be crap if it had to go through the metal backing of the touch.