View Poll Results: Why didn't apple include an hd in the ipod touch?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • To create a smaller device

12 46.15%
  • To increase battery life

4 15.38%
  • hd would screw up the touch screen

1 3.85%
  • apple is trying to move away from hard drives completely

9 34.62%
+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: why doesn't the ipod touch use a hard drive?

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
The ipod touch is perfect, except the lack of memory. Any idea why apple didn't use an hd? my theories: The use of flash memory instead of an hd could
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb why doesn't the ipod touch use a hard drive?
    The ipod touch is perfect, except the lack of memory. Any idea why apple didn't use an hd?

my theories:
    The use of flash memory instead of an hd could be because apple wanted to make a small device, but i'm guessing the magnetic sensors in the screen would be jacked up by the magnetics of the hd. maybe apple wanted longer battery life. I wish the ipod touch used and hd that could hold all my library.

what you think?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 09-07-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: language

Thanks

I don't know about it screwing up the screen, I have no idea if it would or wouldn't do that, but I believe it is a combination of the 3. Thinner, lighter, more power-efficient device, that is skip-proof. The future of storage is flash.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The HD in the iPhone doesn't screw the screen up, I think the screen works on body capasitance (sp?) not magnetics.
    Can you hear me now?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Yah I'd say its A and B both.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OhmB1Kenobe View Post
    The HD in the iPhone doesn't screw the screen up, I think the screen works on body capasitance (sp?) not magnetics.
    Im sorry, how does anyone still think the iPhone has a hard drive? I'm just curious. I mean on Apples website it says

Capacity
    8GB flash drive

come on! get with the times!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple loves small devices, but with such a large screen and the fact that it's perfect for movies, the extra battery life saved from having a solid state store device probably was the main reason.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

Arrow why not hd in ipod touch or iphone
    well if its like a ipod hd that your refering to well in my prev.hacks on my 30gigandbigger ipod the hard drive cannot operate an o.s. with out burning up ,for instance rockbox hacks for the ipod you can boot up an os like xp,and linux,but i have personaly burned up harddrives doing it

Green Apple
    Thanks

well 8gb for me is enough,but for other maybe is to little,i think they don't put any hd is for the batery life and the weight .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if they used a hard drive in the ipod, it would go bad way too fast. too many moving parts and two easy for the hard drive head to hit the platters causing bad sectors. ipods aren't generally stationary so solid state memory would be the best way to go for something like that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think that apple is trying desperately to get hard drives out of their media players. It is my prediction that when apple can afford to put 32 gigs of flash memory in a 250$ product, they will discontinue the hard drive based iPod line completely.

The step of putting 16 gigs in a player is moving them ever closer to the future. As large capacity flash memory devices become more popular, even more companies will enter the flash memory business and even smaller and cheaper flash chips will be made. Apple has said previously (around the time the mini was phased out in favor of the nano) that flash memory is the future, and now they are bringing it to their high end, high capacity, products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone senas8's Avatar
    Thanks

There is just something weird about 160gbvs16gb...I mean what am I supposed to do with all my 80GB music...I constantly have to replace music with more music on my ipod...Not to mention that I have all the collections stored on ...I can't even count DVD's...seriously 16gb?...come on...get with the times.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Thanks

E) So they can sell a couple iClassic's.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

flash memory is quicker and less prone to crashing (no moving hardware)

the ipod is at 32 gb now, expect flash memory to drop in price and increase in storage drastically over the next year

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok well if they did put a HD in the iPod not only would it be loud but think of this While holding it would vibrate which could get annoying. Also the Battery would die very quickly. It would load a lot slower everything would access the HD and it would make the HD have to work harder causing even shorter life and slower speeds. On a computer if you listen to music and do something else it will freeze up or skip but it won't on the iPod because it doesn't slow anything down having to access different apps and such. Thats why Flash is a better memory choice. Now when we get some 80GB flash drives you will be happy because not only would it still be slim but faster as well.