Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Home-Made Stylus for Touch/iPhone

Lightbulb A Home-Made Stylus for Touch/iPhone
    I haven't had the major issues that some have experienced using the interface inherent with the Touch. Some have however, finding that their fat fingers, or long nails, are prohibiting them from doing what they need to do effectively.

With the plethora of install options available post-jailbreak, (including games whose buttons are teeny-tiny remakes of their originals...) it's a wonder more aren't bringing this issue to light.

In researching 'Stylus' for the touch, I found the solutions out there to be very expensive, and equally unattractive. While my solution isn't the prettiest in the world, it does work quite effectively. It can also be made from common household items. Here's what you'll need.

1.) A pencil.
    2.) Two to Three Gum Wrappers.
    3.) A sharp knife (Optional)

First, you'll need to trim the pencil down to size. You could run it through a sharpener for a while, or simply snap it in half. Whichever works for you. You could also leave it full sized, it's totally up to you. If you leave it, you won't need the knife. (Which is good, because knives can be dangerous.)

Next, you'll want to peel your gum wrappers. Your level of skill at this endeavor may very well up the number of wrappers required, however for me, I only needed two. The process is simple, with any gum wrapper, there's a foil side, and a paper side. These two sides can be separated. Peeling isn't required, but it will make your home-made stylus last a bit longer, as the mild adhesive used to stick the foil to the paper will make it stick to the pencil.

Either way, the next step varies depending on your method. If you're handy with a knife, you can shear one edge of the pencil such that the 'lead' end has a flat surface at a slight angle. (Such that when the pencil is held in the 'writing position,' nearly all of its width is flat on the table surface) That may or may not make sense... so think of a ball of clay. if you drop it, it creates a flat imprint on the impacted side. that's basically what we want to do to the pencil, make it so that if it were made of clay, and landed at an angle, the impacted surface would be flat.

Or, you can skip the knife and just use the eraser. The Eraser has a little 'give' to it, so it may work better for this anyway.

Once you've prepared (or not) the 'stylus end', take your peeled or unpeeled gum wrappers, and wrap them from the tip all the way to where your hand will grasp the 'stylus'. The foil must cover the entire length of the pencil from the very end, to approximately three inches from the end.

Note that this stylus must be held fairly close to the tip to work most effectively.

If unpeeled, you may tape your wrappers, but only using TINY amounts of tape. It's IMPERATIVE that as much of your skin actually contacts the foil as possible. Since most tapes do not conduct the inherent electrical properties that are required to make this stylus work, tape can be a bad idea.

How this type of stylus works:

The touch screen in the Ipod Touch uses a discharge method to determine where on the screen your finger is located. By wrapping the pencil in foil, you're extending your body's inherent elecrtical properties to the foil itself, thus enabling it as a stylus for the Ipod touch.

Keep in mind that the more distance you place between the fingers holding the stylus, and the tip of the stylus itself, the less 'reactive' the touch is going to be to it. So, for best results, hold the stylus as close as possible to the tip.

You might not use the end result for much more than the occasional email, if at all, but for me, it beats spending $20 on something I'd rarely use anyways.

I hope this helps! If anyone comes up with a better design, please post it!

Cheers,

K
    "If it doesnt work as intended, try pressing the buttons a little harder."

-Kvisions

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kvisions For This Useful Post:

5h00p3r_MAN (01-14-2008), Undertow52 (08-22-2010)

Why not use some dead skin and put it on a Q-Tip.

sweet! i would never need a stylus but itd be a fun project. if you get a chance you should include pics or create a video tutorial, im having a hard time understanding exactly what to do

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

I had this really strong magnet, and one day, I felt like being an Idiot, and put it close to my phone, and to my surprise, you could actually use it as your finger! I also discovered that you can use certain types of sponges or foam-like materials when damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1029 View Post
    I had this really strong magnet, and one day, I felt like being an Idiot, and put it close to my phone, and to my surprise, you could actually use it as your finger! I also discovered that you can use certain types of sponges or foam-like materials when damp.
    ya i discovered you can use an anti-static bag that harddrives and whatnot come in. it didnt work perfectly but if you got it at the right ange it would

you actually dont need the pencil at all, just get a regular peice of aluminum foil, roll it into a pencil-like shape with a flat bottom, and it works well.

got a solution for using the iphone with gloves on?

so: NO to the $25 stylus,
    NO to the $40 electro-transparent glove
    and NO to mitten gloves.

no skin exposed. what can have here?

Quote Originally Posted by muckymucky View Post
    got a solution for using the iphone with gloves on?

so: NO to the $25 stylus,
    NO to the $40 electro-transparent glove
    and NO to mitten gloves.

no skin exposed. what can have here?
    I have a few ideas for you. I was just looking around the net and found a few things. First if you want a stylus follow the instructions in the first post but instead of the contact touching your finger attach it to the negative end of an AAA or AA battery. You could also put foil on the tip of the finger of the glove and run a wire to your arm or to a foil on the inside of your glove. I'm not sure if this works with foil but it did work with a soda pop cap. good luck and i hope this helps.

heres a quick illustration:

it works PERFECTLY... an easier, and cheaper way to makeit, and you definatly have this stuff hat home.

ALSO, THIS WILL WORK IF YOU ARE USING GLOVES! Tested and working , it works 99% of the time with gloves, 100% with bare hands.

Materials:
    -Tin foil
    -Pencil with eraser
    -Tape (optional) [preferable electrical tape]

Quick steps:
    1. Take pencil wth flat eraser, and rap 2 layers of tinfoil over eraser end, keep smooth
    2. rap a long piece of tinfoil around the pencil, and over exsisting tin foil.
    3. tape it up wherever u want

Long steps for those who know nothing (joking, just more in depth):

Ok. So what your gunna want to do is take ur pencil, new or old, tall or short, and make sure you have a decent size flat part on your eraser, the width of a brand new eraser on the back of a pencil is perfect, so leave it if its new, otherwize, jsut erase it till u have a nice flat surface.

Next, take 2 small squares, maybe 2" x 2" sheets, and place, and rap the over the eraser, keeping a nice flat and smooth surface over the end of the eraser. then, take 1 longer sheet, and rap it around the pencil(not over the end of eraser, but just over the existing tin foil you put on earlier.

Tape where ever you need to (mostly at ends), but make sure the surface of youreraser end is still the flat, smooth tin foil. I like the electricale tape cos u can stretch it, and fit it to wherever u need to. Just keep enough tin foil open to allow for your had to contact the tinfoil, it doesnt "HAVE TO" but it just works a bit better.

Try it out, it works with gloves, or anything else restricting you from touching your new stylus directly. BTW, touch the touch with the flat end of eraser with tinfoil over it

wow... good work, but i'll try sticking to my fingers for now!