+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android on the iPhone/iPod why & how.

is a discussion within the

iPod Touch General Chat

forums, a part of the

iPod Touch

section;
The Open Handset Alliance, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies, is developing Android: the first complete, open, and free mobile platform. So what does this mean
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Android on the iPhone/iPod why & how.
    The Open Handset Alliance, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies, is developing Android: the first complete, open, and free mobile platform.

So what does this mean for the iPhone/iPod touch? Well nothing right now. But it could one day replace the OS that is currently running on your ipod/iphone. Why would I want Android on my ipod? Well for starters we are very limited when it comes to how we use are devices. You can only use iTunes to transfer music. There is no access to the device other than itunes. Everything we do to the device is governed by apples rules. You can always jailbreak your device to gain access to those options. But then apple always comes along with an update and we all know far to well the headaches that come along with that. wouldn't it be nice to have something just as nice to look at and just as feature packed as apples OS. But without the governing of apple.

This is were Android would benefit us all . You could choose not to use itunes. How you want it to look how you want it to act. Things like customize and somerboard and all your favorite apps could be written for it and installed with no one trying to stop you. The options would be limitless. No more worrying about how the next update is going to affect you. The best part is its open. So while it may not look like much now if and when it makes its way to the iphone it will be so much more then what we have now. All the things we love about are iphone/ipod are build into android. Support for touch screen, exeliromitor ext.

How is this coming to the iphone? Well weather they know it or not iphone Linux, android and the iphone-dev team are working together to make it happen. The iphone Linux team is currently working on getting Linux up and running on the iPhone. making the drivers all the dirty work Main Page - IPhone Linux . While android which has all the features needed for the iphone and is based on a Linux kernel is set to release by the end of this year. Android and the iphone dev team has already released an application that in theory would eventually give us the ability to install any OS.
    iPhone Dev Team Portal [iPhone Dev Team]

Its only a matter of time before it all comes together. If your still not sure what android is google.
    Android Youtube Video: All You Ever Wanted To Know
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXolJrLVEg]YouTube - Android Dream video live demo Intro and more![/ame]
    wireless.itworld.com - What Google's Android means to the tech industry

I think more people should be developing for android. Its better for the developer and its better for the consumer. Why you ask? Mainly there is no one governing what you can and can not do. which eliminates the need for a "Jailbreak" and gives the user and the developer unlimited freedom. The users are free to do what they want to the device and the developers are free to develop what ever they want. Without the worry of weather or not they can or will be able to support there product.

Its a win win and it is coming to the iphone. We the consumers and the developers have everything to gain by getting it up and running, It WILL happen. So I say STOP developing for apple and installer and start thinking android.

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, it has it's advantages. It's like linux for the iPhone.
    But I enjoy Apple's OS. It's sleek, well deigned, very stable, and the whole fun of my iPhone is the challenges we have to face because of the limits and finding ways to over come them.
    I might possible dual boot, but nothing could handle the iPhone like it's current OS. And so much work has gone into how we have so far developed it...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

iPhone? More like MyPhone Conn18's Avatar
    Thanks

So I say STOP developing for apple and installer and start thinking android.

I'll get straight to the point.
    No.

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

Green Apple
    Thanks
    hmmm dual boot on my 16gb,sounds like heaven.
    i only just stated reading and watching(youtube)about android this evening and imediatly thought about if it could work on the i phone.after reading your post jimbeam(sorry more of a JD man my self)it looks like it wont be long.
    dual boot,im sure my misses will leave me after that !!!!!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    But I enjoy Apple's OS. It's sleek, well deigned, very stable, and the whole fun of my iPhone is the challenges we have to face because of the limits and finding ways to over come them.
    To paraphrase Clark Griswold:

"I think you're all screwed in the head. We're maybe a couple of months from a 3G unlock and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a hobby. It's a quest. It's a quest for modification. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much friggin' fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god **** smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of your butts! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to use my iPhone any way I want! Praise the DevTeam! Holy Crap!"

Thanks

^^was that the one where they went to wolly world?
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I honestly think that having the android OS on the iPhone would be just set it off. Completely open source on the iPhone, ah the possibilities. Can't wait until the release of the download. Looking forward to it.