Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch music alarm workaround

Default iPod Touch music alarm workaround
    Okay, so I've been playing with this for a while and I came to a reasonable solution since I don't have any programming skills...

This is one way you can get a song to play for an alarm instead of those f*ing beeps that it makes by default.

1.First, you need to make the Ipod think it's kind of like an iPhone. You could make it think it's an iPhone completely, but I've found that's just annoying unless you're insecure and want everyone to think you're way cool and have an iPhone. So first, you need to SSH into the iPod, and get at the Springboard N45AP.plist file, which is located in

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

open that up in a Property List Editor (easier) or a text editor, and make it look like one of these two respectively.

(In a Property List Editor)

or

(In a text editor, or at least that's the only important part of it, the rest can remain as-is)

then, having SSHed into the iPod, create a folder in /Library called "Ringtones". I actually just copied the Ringtones folder from some iPhone firmware, but I think it will still work if you don't.

2. Find an mp3 or some audio you want to use, import it into iTunes if it's not already there
    4. Select the file, click File>Get Info, then click Options, and adjust the start and end time to whatever bit of the audio you want to use.
    3. Click Advanced>Convert Selection to AAC (if it says some other file format, go to iTunes Preferences and change the import format to AAC)
    4. Find the converted file in the iTunes Library folder on your computer, and change the extension to .m4r instead of .m4a
    5. Copy this file to the new "Ringtones" folder in your iPod
    6. Respring or restart your iPod and you should be able to use the audio file as an alarm now.

NOTE: BACKUP YOUR N45AP.PLIST BEFORE YOU ALTER IT IN CASE SOMETHING GOES AWRY. I DOUBT IT WILL, BUT I CAN'T GUARANTEE ANYTHING. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE.

NEW NOTE: IF YOU MAKE AN ENTIRE TRACK INTO AN ALARM, IT TENDS TO TAKE UP MUCH OF THE MOBILE MEDIA SPACE, I.E. SPACE FOR THIRD PARTY APPS, ETC, (NOT MUSIC, PHOTOS OR VIDEOS)
    Last edited by redelephantlabel; 05-21-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: New sh*t has come light.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redelephantlabel For This Useful Post:

wearmaize (05-14-2008), windwhisper (07-02-2008)

But where would you use ringtones on an iPod?

What I'd like is to change the alarm sounds.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Quote Originally Posted by wearmaize View Post
    But where would you use ringtones on an iPod?

What I'd like is to change the alarm sounds.
    yeah you can use the ringtone files as alarms. The files show up under SOUND when you're setting an alarm.

Sweet. In that case I will try it after I install the 2.0 firmware on my iPod.

Thx.

The picture that you posted of editing the .plist file in a text editor isn't showing up. can u repost it or tell me a property list editor for windows that will work? iv been looking all over the place for this and you cant imagine how frustrating it is when the one picture i need doesn't load.

Nvm the pic works now. it was my crappy internet. i tried this out but the text editor did not show what you put up in the picture. is it because i use windows? if it is could you post a guide for windows?
    Last edited by nosnhoj909; 05-14-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: problem fixed

where is the ringtones folder?

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

On an iTouch,are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by nosnhoj909 View Post
    i tried this out but the text editor did not show what you put up in the picture. is it because i use windows? if it is could you post a guide for windows?
    I'm not really sure how this could be done on Windows, try refering to this post and see if it works for you.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...e-windows.html

You need to create one in /Library

Firstly, thanks a heap for being interested enough in this topic to fiddle around. I was starting to think the desire for a song as an alarm tone was a strange and perverse one.

Does one need to edit from <key>iconState</key> downwards? I ask only because the tags look unfinished and unclosed in the screenshot. Especially that open <dict> tag hanging at the bottom!

Does anyone know how much this will brick my iPod Touch if I stuff up these instructions? ie, will it make things look a bit different, or will it never turn on again, kind of thing?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by redelephantlabel View Post
    I'm not really sure how this could be done on Windows, try refering to this post and see if it works for you.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...e-windows.html

My system's vista, and how could I do it?

Hey there! Just followed your instructions redelephantlabel and no such luck for a different music alarm. I am still hopeful though. I am running on a macbook with all of the programs and actions that you have instructed readers to do, yet there are no alarms other than those crazy beeping ones. I've been through your process several times, so I was hoping you could personally help me.
    ----Lost without music in the morning

No, you shouldn't have to do anything to the iconState