+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Add Battery Percentage to iPod Touch 5th Generation on IOS 6+ without Jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

iPod Themes

forums, a part of the

iPod Mods

section;
This Tutorial will show you how to add Battery Percentage to your iPod Touch 5G on IOS 6+ without jailbreaking. 1. Download iBackupBot for Windows or Mac from here: iBackupBot
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,982 Times in 932 Posts

Default Add Battery Percentage to iPod Touch 5th Generation on IOS 6+ without Jailbreaking
    This Tutorial will show you how to add Battery Percentage to your iPod Touch 5G on IOS 6+ without jailbreaking.

1. Download iBackupBot for Windows or Mac from here: iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

2. Plug in your iPod Touch, Launch iTunes and create a current Backup of your iPod.

3. Open iBackupBot, and click your latest backup located on the left side.

4. Find Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist in the right window and double click to open it,
    hit cancel to bypass the registration notice.

5. After <dict> type this exactly as shown:

<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
    <true/>

6 Press CTRL + s on your keyboard to save the file.

7. Now Right-Click your backup in iBackupBot and hit Restore.
    iBackupBot will now restore your device from this newly modded backup.

8. Enjoy your new Battery Percentage Indicator on your unjailbroken iPod Touch 5G

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

2k1 (01-08-2013), King_O_Hill (01-22-2013), magicbum (01-17-2013), Project5 (01-08-2013), Simon (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for the share Drifter! Worked on my ipod5. I wonder what else you can mod using this?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Project5 For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-08-2013)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Very nice will set my buddy up with this today

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,348 Times in 4,249 Posts

What other things can be modded from the data in this .plist, Drifter? Nice find!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Project5 View Post
    Thanks for the share Drifter! Worked on my ipod5. I wonder what else you can mod using this?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    What other things can be modded from the data in this .plist, Drifter? Nice find!

For IOS6 you can make these additional changes:

Enable Numeric signal strength

<key>SBShowGSMRSSI</key>
    <true/>

------------------------------------

Enable Numeric wifi strength

<key>SBShowRSSI</key>
    <true/>

For IOS5 only you can change the carrier name on the iPhone and iPod with this:

<key>SBFakeCarrier</key>
    <string>iPhone</string>

Note: This one does not work for IOS6

Here is a useful link to show you what the contents of your iTunes backup contains:

List of Files and Their Roles in iTunes Backups, and How to Use Them | iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch forums | iFans

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013), RKO1195 (01-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post

<key>SBShowGSMRSSI</key>
    <true/>

<key>SBShowRSSI</key>
    <true/>

<key>SBFakeCarrier</key>
    <string>iPhone</string>

Here is a useful link to show you what the contents of your iTunes backup contains:

List of Files and Their Roles in iTunes Backups, and How to Use Them | iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch forums | iFans
    Great, Drifter! Thanks! I knew we wouldn't get much from stock. But something is better than nothing. Only thing I'm worried about is icon layout being preserved thru a restore. I take hours and days getting my apps into folders. I can't risk losing that. It seems I've lost that thru backup restore process in the past. Should that be preserved thru a backup restore?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Great, Drifter! Thanks! I knew we wouldn't get much from stock. But something is better than nothing. Only thing I'm worried about is icon layout being preserved thru a restore. I take hours and days getting my apps into folders. I can't risk losing that. It seems I've lost that thru backup restore process in the past. Should that be preserved thru a backup restore?
    The current icon state is stored in this file: Library/SpringBoard/DesiredIconState.plist and is included in the backup copy. So it should be preserved when you restore

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013)

Thanks

The current icon state is stored in this file: Library/SpringBoard/DesiredIconState.plist and is included in the backup copy. So it should be preserved when you restore
    Would this phenomenon also explain why after I've been stock for quite some time and then get a new jailbreak, add my first tweak like Gridlock, and after a Respring suddenly my icon positions revert to where they were on my last Jailbroken phone? This was a very welcome thing when we got Absinthe as I wanted an icon position like my iP4 on 4.2.8 had. My icon position from Jailbroken iP4 days came back on 5.1.1 jailbreak. I guess it was held thru a restore somehow? Or is icon position also saved in the prefs files of some tweaks?

Thanks

Would this phenomenon also explain why after I've been stock for quite some time and then get a new jailbreak, add my first tweak like Gridlock, and after a Respring suddenly my icon positions revert to where they were on my last Jailbroken phone? This was a very welcome thing when we got Absinthe as I wanted an icon position like my iP4 on 4.2.8 had. My icon position from Jailbroken iP4 days came back on 5.1.1 jailbreak. I guess it was held thru a restore somehow? Or is icon position also saved in the prefs files of some tweaks?
    Its my understanding that when you restore your device from backup and not setup as new that you dont wipe out your old file system, so when you install your old tweaks back, the old settings the tweaks saved will suddenly "reappear" because they were never erased.

As far as I know for icon positioning, that is saved in the Library/SpringBoard/DesiredIconState.plist. Gridlock saves its own positioning somewhere else.

This is one of the reasons that when you want to restore you device from scratch, a "setup as new" is required to erase all previous settings and old file structure. Restoring from Backups seem to keep and carry over old jailbreak settings and any problems from previous tweaks.

I have also found that when you restore as a "new user", that your battery life is greatly increased.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Its my understanding that when you restore your device from backup and not setup as new that you dont wipe out your old file system, so when you install your old tweaks back, the old settings the tweaks saved will suddenly "reappear" because they were never erased.

As far as I know for icon positioning, that is saved in the Library/SpringBoard/DesiredIconState.plist. Gridlock saves its own positioning somewhere else.
    From my experience toying with it - global icon positioning is stored in:
    IconSupportState.plist and IconState.plist in \Library\Springboard. But there could be several tweaks, as you've said, that either update those two files or have their own prefs file that overrides the one in com.apple.springboard. But thanks for confirming my thoughts in general. I was actually very happy that a restore had remembered my long-labored icon positioning work from 4.2.8 over into 5.1.1 JB. It was a pleasant surprise.

This is one of the reasons that when you want to restore you device from scratch, a "setup as new" is required to erase all previous settings and old file structure. Restoring from Backups seem to keep and carry over old jailbreak settings and any problems from previous tweaks.
    This is not my understanding. Cydia BackUp softwares like PKGBackup save Tweak settings, bad or good. They are not saved in an Apple BackupRestore. So a bug introduced by a tweak will not remain through an Apple BackUp - that's why you hear me arguing on several threads so vehemently against the idea of the 'common wisdom' around here being do a 'save as new iPhone' for stock iPhones to clear up problems. I've never had a single problem on a stoick iPhone that a Restore as New Phone solved. it's a waste of time 99% of the time since it's SO time consuming for very little result. Deleting apps one by one is the best troubleshooting you can do when you encounter problems on a stock iPhone. Now -- NOT using PKGBackup to restore your Cydia stuff makes MUCH more of a difference. Readding tweaks one by one is definitely way safer. Though I have a PKGBackup that only has the KNOWN SAFE tweaks in it. That I use to at least get Gridlock, Infinidock, etc back quickly after a restore. Obviously after a new iOS update that wouldn't work either - because you need the most updated tweaks.

I have also found that when you restore as a "new user", that your battery life is greatly increased.
    But this would obviously only be from the fact that you haven't loaded on any apps yet right after a restore. I don't think it can have anything to do with setting up as 'new user' intrinsically. Give me your logic on that one, bro.. Not following you..

Thanks for your great info and widgets though, bro. I always learn something reading you..

A2A
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This Tutorial will show you how to add Battery Percentage to your iPod Touch 5G on IOS 6+ without jailbreaking.

1. Download iBackupBot for Windows or Mac from here: iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

2. Plug in your iPod Touch, Launch iTunes and create a current Backup of your iPod.

3. Open iBackupBot, and click your latest backup located on the left side.

4. Find Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist in the right window and double click to open it,
    hit cancel to bypass the registration notice.

5. After <dict> type this exactly as shown:

<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
    <true/>

6 Press CTRL + s on your keyboard to save the file.

7. Now Right-Click your backup in iBackupBot and hit Restore.
    iBackupBot will now restore your device from this newly modded backup.

8. Enjoy your new Battery Percentage Indicator on your unjailbroken iPod Touch 5G

It's great to see that there are some workarounds for iDevices. I miss my jailbreak, but I'm glad the community is still alive and kicking. Come listen to my podcast sometime and see hear what else we tear apart. AAPL2Apples.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to A2A For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,754 Times in 6,861 Posts

From my experience toying with it - global icon positioning is stored in:
    IconSupportState.plist and IconState.plist in \Library\Springboard. But there could be several tweaks, as you've said, that either update those two files or have their own prefs file that overrides the one in com.apple.springboard. But thanks for confirming my thoughts in general. I was actually very happy that a restore had remembered my long-labored icon positioning work from 4.2.8 over into 5.1.1 JB. It was a pleasant surprise.

This is not my understanding. Cydia BackUp softwares like PKGBackup save Tweak settings, bad or good. They are not saved in an Apple BackupRestore. So a bug introduced by a tweak will not remain through an Apple BackUp - that's why you hear me arguing on several threads so vehemently against the idea of the 'common wisdom' around here being do a 'save as new iPhone' for stock iPhones to clear up problems. I've never had a single problem on a stoick iPhone that a Restore as New Phone solved. it's a waste of time 99% of the time since it's SO time consuming for very little result. Deleting apps one by one is the best troubleshooting you can do when you encounter problems on a stock iPhone. Now -- NOT using PKGBackup to restore your Cydia stuff makes MUCH more of a difference. Readding tweaks one by one is definitely way safer. Though I have a PKGBackup that only has the KNOWN SAFE tweaks in it. That I use to at least get Gridlock, Infinidock, etc back quickly after a restore. Obviously after a new iOS update that wouldn't work either - because you need the most updated tweaks.

But this would obviously only be from the fact that you haven't loaded on any apps yet right after a restore. I don't think it can have anything to do with setting up as 'new user' intrinsically. Give me your logic on that one, bro.. Not following you..
    Apples backup does backup some Cydia stuff. I have restored a backup from iTunes then jailbroken and have seen settings from the tweaks I had previously installed carried over through a regular apple backup.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013), The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

I've never had a single problem on a stoick iPhone that a Restore as New Phone solved.
    Agreed, when restoring a "stock" iPhone from a previous "stock" backup, there isn't any problems.

My earlier statement refers to a jailbroken iDevice with the modified file structure that jailbreaking introduces. Like you mentioned earlier, you have noticed that your tweak settings "reappear", that will not be the case with a fresh restore as "new user" and reinstalling your tweaks fresh. (i know its time consuming) So its a combination of the apple backup and not completely erasing your file structure with a fresh restore that will produce lingering data from previous Jailbreak tweaks.

Not sure if your on a window PC, but the premise is the same, you will have a better running OS install when you reformat, partition and install Windows from scratch than "upgrading" from one version of Windows to a newer one through a upgrade process.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013), Simon (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Agreed, when restoring a "stock" iPhone from a previous "stock" backup, there isn't any problems.

My earlier statement refers to a jailbroken iDevice with the modified file structure that jailbreaking introduces. Like you mentioned earlier, you have noticed that your tweak settings "reappear", that will not be the case with a fresh restore as "new user" and reinstalling your tweaks fresh. (i know its time consuming) So its a combination of the apple backup and not completely erasing your file structure with a fresh restore that will produce lingering data from previous Jailbreak tweaks.

Not sure if your on a window PC, but the premise is the same, you will have a better running OS install when you reformat, partition and install Windows from scratch than "upgrading" from one version of Windows to a newer one through a upgrade process.
    Exactly

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013), The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Yes. I'm a consultant to many recording studios in the area - that need help with their Macs and PCs and I'm aware of that. You always do a clean install of an OS but only if the client is having unresolved problems. If the computer is running cleanly - and upgrade always works out great. Never had a problem in 25 years of consulting. IF there's a problem - then 'clean install'. My issue is with the advice being given for 'stock iphones' which it is a lot around here. People's issues with stock iphones have nothing to do with any corruption in the iOS (99% of the time). Agreed about jailbroken devices - which is why I made the caveat about stock iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Apples backup does backup some Cydia stuff. I have restored a backup from iTunes then jailbroken and have seen settings from the tweaks I had previously installed carried over through a regular apple backup.
    EDITED:
    Yes I've observed that too. And I agree a "restore as new" and reload Cydia tweaks for a jailbroken phone is the best approach - because as in my first question to Drifter you read --> I wondered if anyone else noticed that tweaks preferences must get saved through an Apple Backup because I saw their effects come back on a brand new jailbreak. in some cases it's a good thing - like getting all your icon positioning back.

What's the waste of time in my view is the 'restore as new' for stock iPhones. Nearly all those problems are in a bad app and you have to eliminate one app at a time to find the problem.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-23-2013 at 09:12 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013)

Thanks

This is not my understanding. Cydia BackUp softwares like PKGBackup save Tweak settings, bad or good. They are not saved in an Apple BackupRestore.
    Just for clarification, Cydia settings are indeed stored and backed up with a iTunes Backup in the following locations:

Library/Preferences/AppBackup/ -
    Created by AppBackup (a Cydia app for backing up app data)
    if you use it, it contains app data backed up by it

and

Library/Preferences/com.[name of company].[name of service].plist -
    Settings for that service. These range from preferences in the Settings app to Cydia apps.

If I remember correctly, one of the features of PKBackup is to save its settings under a "contact" in your address book, this way those PKBackup settings can be restored in the future from your iTunes backup copy.

So yes, restoring from a iTunes backup will also restore these Cydia based files and settings
    Last edited by The.Drifter; 01-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (01-23-2013)

Thanks

<key>SBShowGSMRSSI</key>
    <true/>

<key>SBShowRSSI</key>
    <true/>

<key>SBFakeCarrier</key>
    <string>iPhone</string>

Thanks Drifter, these worked !

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Project5 For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Yes. I'm a consultant to many recording studios in the area - that need help with their Macs and PCs and I'm aware of that. You always do a clean install of an OS but only if the client is having unresolved problems. If the computer is running cleanly - and upgrade always works out great. Never had a problem in 25 years of consulting. IF there's a problem - then 'clean install'. My issue is with the advice being given for 'stock iphones' which it is a lot around here. People's issues with stock iphones have nothing to do with any corruption in the iOS (99% of the time). Agreed about jailbroken devices - which is why I made the caveat about stock iPhones.

EDITED:
    Yes I've observed that too. And I agree a "restore as new" and reload Cydia tweaks for a jailbroken phone is the best approach - because as in my first question to Drifter you read --> I wondered if anyone else noticed that tweaks preferences must get saved through an Apple Backup because I saw their effects come back on a brand new jailbreak. in some cases it's a good thing - like getting all your icon positioning back.

What's the waste of time in my view is the 'restore as new' for stock iPhones. Nearly all those problems are in a bad app and you have to eliminate one app at a time to find the problem.
    This is a jailbreak centric forum. I have helped people on this forum for years now and very rarely do we get someone who has an issue with a stock iPhone who have never jailbroken before. I can't even think of one tbh. They have forums for people with stock iPhone problems: Apple.com

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Just for clarification, Cydia settings are indeed stored and backed up with a iTunes Backup in the following locations:

Library/Preferences/AppBackup/ -
    Created by AppBackup (a Cydia app for backing up app data)
    if you use it, it contains app data backed up by it

and

Library/Preferences/com.[name of company].[name of service].plist -
    Settings for that service. These range from preferences in the Settings app to Cydia apps.

If I remember correctly, one of the features of PKBackup is to save its settings under a "contact" in your address book, this way those PKBackup settings can be restored in the future from your iTunes backup copy.

So yes, restoring from a iTunes backup will also restore these Cydia based files and settings
    Ah., this explains much!! Hugely helpful. One correction. PKGBackup only stores the data under a contact if you direct it to. The default setting is to have this setting 'off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    This is a jailbreak centric forum. I have helped people on this forum for years now and very rarely do we get someone who has an issue with a stock iPhone who have never jailbroken before. I can't even think of one tbh. They have forums for people with stock iPhone problems: Apple.com
    You're still missing my point, Simon. I agree this is a jailbreak centric forum. My comment still applies in the situation where very often on this forum a person who is jailbroken and having problems is told to restore to stock and then NOT USE their last Apple Backup as a Restore. their "Apple stock restore" of apps and messages and camera roll, etc. This is the 'waste if time' I'm referring to. The problems are almost always in tweaks, the Cydia apps themselves And rarely in the preferences files for Cydia stuff. Even though Drifter has explained to me and educated us that many Cydia preferences files can make it through an Apple backup & restore.. the problems people encounter when they're jailbroken and crashing into safe mode all the time are not from those few Cydia tweaks preferences files that get saved in the Apple backup. It's in Cydia-only files and tweaks themselves that are conflicting. I've seen this scores of times. Now your experience is greater than mine with iOS. So I'm sure you've seen a few cases where what I'm saying is wrong And something saved by the Apple backup is still causing trouble. I'm not saying that can't happen. That would be stupid of me. I'm saying that in the vast majority of cases that's not the cause of their problem And yet the number one troubleshooting method that's talked about on this forum is to "restore as a new" phone. This is unnecessary in most cases in my experience.

Though I do understand, I think, why many veterans use it as their first troubleshooting technique. It's the easiest 1st step. Like the customer service tech-support guy on the telephone telling you to turn your phone off and back on when he knows darn well that's not the main reason for the trouble. It's just the "easiest" first step. Since I started posting on ModMyi I've been told to restore as new phone in about 20 different situations. In about 10 of those situations I did restore as new and the problem was not solved. In the other 10 situations I already knew that that wasn't going to solve my problem and something else did solve my problem. So in 0% of my cases did I need to restore as new. What people should be taught as the number one troubleshooting remedy is how to go into SBSettings and turn off tweaks one by one until the problem goes away. In all 20 of my cases and scores of other problems I've read about that solved my problems and the problems of others. That should be the number one troubleshooting step newbies are told to take.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks

See, the thing is when someone jailbreaks, then backs up their phone in itunes, they no longer have a "clean" stock backup to restore to.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)