+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Add Battery Percentage to iPod Touch 5th Generation on IOS 6+ without Jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

iPod Themes

forums, a part of the

iPod Mods

section;
Originally Posted by Simon See, the thing is when someone jailbreaks, then backs up their phone in itunes, they no longer have a "clean" stock backup to restore to. Yes.
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,426 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    See, the thing is when someone jailbreaks, then backs up their phone in itunes, they no longer have a "clean" stock backup to restore to.
    Yes. Not a perfectly clean one. We agree on that, Simon. For sure. That explains why my icon positioning was preserved from the 4.2.8 jailbreak through to the 5.1.1 jailbreak.

The part the veterans don't make known to noobs having crashing problems after jailbreak is that it's enormously rare for the problems that cause the crashing after a jailbreak to be things leftover in a stock Apple restore. Veterans should switch to telling people, with problems, about the SBSettings switch off, one by one, of tweaks. That's where they'll find a problem the vast majority of times.

It's also possible to download a tool to your Mac or PC that allows you to look at saved iTunes backups and get rid of any leftover Cydia things thus "cleaning" your iTunes backup so you can at least get all of your apps and icon positioning back before you re-jailbreak. Drifter was telling us about this tool.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Well I do agree with you on one thing. I don't think telling someone to restore as new should be the first thing to try either. I usually only suggest restore as new as a last resort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-23-2013)

Thanks

Well I do agree with you on one thing. I don't think telling someone to restore as new should be the first thing to try either. I usually only suggest restore as new as a last resort.
    I wish more thought that way, Simon. Really I do. But that's the #1 troubleshoot method I hear around hear.

Thanks

You keep saying that but in the help threads I don't see it. Can you point me to any threads where one of the veteran helpers suggested restore and setup as new right off the bat?
    I see general statements from people saying its always good to setup as new instead of restoring from backup. But none in any actual help threads suggesting that first. And I have seen my share of help threads in the years I have been helping people on MMi.

Thanks

You keep saying that but in the help threads I don't see it. Can you point me to any threads where one of the veteran helpers suggested restore and setup as new right off the bat?
    I see general statements from people saying its always good to setup as new instead of restoring from backup. But none in any actual help threads suggesting that first. And I have seen my share of help threads in the years I have been helping people on MMi.
    Yes I'm sure you have, Simon. You're very helpful! But I have never once visited a 'help thread'. Don't even know what you mean by that. I'm always in News or Theme threads. And as I said the first course of action advice in crashing cases is a full restore as new. And the fact that when people have already decided to restore for ANY reason they're told to restore as new also counts in the numbers of cases that I think are a waste of time for all the reasons I've cited. Hey maybe the word's getting out that there are more effective less time consuming ways to troubleshoot. That would be great. But as I've said - in at least 10 cases I've had personally that was the advice given me. A few posts ago you were even singing the praises of a restore as new. But you didn't say that it was the best first course of action after troubles. So that's great.

What 'is' YOUR personal first advice to a person who's getting a crash on entering an app or random crashes?

Thanks

Lol, news and theme threads? You have lost it right there. The real veteran helpers on MMi do not help in news threads or theme threads. Click on the forums tab at the top of the page and you will see sections like iPhone general, jailbreak/downgrading/upgrading, unlocking, etc.
    There is a whole other world out there on MMi besides theme and news threads and that is where we actually help people with their problems. That is where I started on MMi.
    People like me, iannie, Yeow, Cowboy, 2K1, Evo, cer0, blkcadi, Broomhead etc. those are the veteran helpers (and its no coincidence they are all moderators now) on MMi and we do most of our work in threads you say you have never been too yet have no problem generalizing a statement about MMi based on theme and news sections.
    I challenge you to find one instance where any of those people gave first advise to restore as new.

As far as the general debate on the subject I think we have found a common ground. Stock backup is always going to be fine while backup from when jailbroken has the potential to introduce problems. Correct?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-24-2013)

Thanks

Lol, news and theme threads? You have lost it right there. The real veteran helpers on MMi do not help in news threads or theme threads. Click on the forums tab at the top of the page and you will see sections like iPhone general, jailbreak/downgrading/upgrading, unlocking, etc.
    There is a whole other world out there on MMi besides theme and news threads and that is where we actually help people with their problems. That is where I started on MMi.
    People like me, iannie, Yeow, Cowboy, 2K1, Evo, cer0, blkcadi, Broomhead etc. those are the veteran helpers (and its no coincidence they are all moderators now) on MMi and we do most of our work in threads you say you have never been too yet have no problem generalizing a statement about MMi based on theme and news sections.
    I challenge you to find one instance where any of those people gave first advise to restore as new.
    I believe you, Simon. With all due respect I go to other forums for iPhone hacking, jailbreaking threads - because I never felt ModMyI had the same level of traffic as iPhoneforums.net and other places. I only come here for themeing which is ModMyi's greatest strength BY FAR imho!!! The amount of posts and threads on Themeing are way higher and very much the center piece of ModMyI. The jailbreaking threads seem to have higher traffic at 'other places'.

Now you guys were SUPER helpful to me on the whole unlocking thing and because 'other forums' have so many more rules and ban people who simply they disagree with - I think ModMyI is a friendlier place IN ALL ASPECTS..!!!! :-). So I will watch those threads here more carefully when this next jailbreak comes for iOS6 and 'experience the quality' you say is here. :-) But you're right - I rarely go to ModMyI's jailbreak/hacking threads. I've been able to get all the troubleshooting answers I needed from the theme threads here. But, as you're noting, I'm not getting good advise from 'veteran modders'. LOL!!!

As far as the general debate on the subject I think we have found a common ground. Stock backup is always going to be fine while backup from when jailbroken has the potential to introduce problems. Correct?
    Yes - more common ground. Except that you and I believe differently, I think, about how rare it is that a Cydia preference file getting caught in an Apple Backup is causing your current issue after jailbreak. I still believe in 9 cases out of 10 a "Restore As New" is NOT needed. Using PKGBKup for saving tweaks, however, IS asking for trouble. We'd agree 100% there, sir!

Thanks for the chat!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-24-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks

I agree, 9 out of 10 times restoring as new is not needed. I believe I said that in the other thread we discussed this in. My issue was your 99% comment on it. 10% is very different from 1%. Problems associated with backups are not a myth as your first stance on it was.

Oh, and you are seriously underestimating the jailbreak section of MMi. The theme section is definitely the beating heart of MMi these days but our jailbreak section has tons of great info in there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-24-2013)

Thanks

I agree, 9 out of 10 times restoring as new is not needed. I believe I said that in the other thread we discussed this in. My issue was your 99% comment on it. 10% is very different from 1%. Problems associated with backups are not a myth as your first stance on it was.
    I think we just emphasize the point differently, Simon. "If" I stated '99%' it was for effect to push back on the prevailing input I was receiving. Fair enough... .. But 10% of time needing a restore as new - is pretty close to 'mythical' to me and a huge waste of time in "90%' of the cases. Don't forget my personal stats. In 20 crashing instances I've had since being a jailbreaker - NOT ONE time did a restore as new fix the problem. In 100% of my personal cases - using the SBSettings turning off of substrates one by one solved the issue.

But I think we have common ground now. 10% is more accurate than 1% and 'mythical' is too strong a word. ;-)

And when I need crashing help in the future I'll come to YOU and CADI!!!!!!

Thanks, Simon!

Thanks

Just tried this tweak out, works great. Thanks Drifter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-24-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,983 Times in 932 Posts

Just tried this tweak out, works great. Thanks Drifter
    Thanks Simon for the confirmation, I'm glad I could help you customize your device

I've always sported a battery percentage on my iPods but when I bought the new iPod Touch 5g I sure missed having it on my device because of a lack of jailbreak, it's funny how a simple little battery percentage tweak can make the wait for a real jailbreak just a little bit more bearable

It's nice to know that the official jailbreak is looming closer and closer, I am sure looking forward to it

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (06-27-2013), Simon (01-24-2013)

Thanks

I'm the same. Always enabled it with a jailbreak on my previous iPods. Nice seeing it there again

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (01-24-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

if u r jailbroken though, you can edit this file using iFile and then respring. does the same thing, and does not require restores.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    if u r jailbroken though, you can edit this file using iFile and then respring. does the same thing, and does not require restores.
    Correct, this thread was made before the jailbreak was released, we didn't have root access to our devices, so this was a small workaround until the jailbreak came in. Now that we are all jailbroken, this thread is kinda moot

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (06-27-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Correct, this thread was made before the jailbreak was released, we didn't have root access to our devices, so this was a small workaround until the jailbreak came in. Now that we are all jailbroken, this thread is kinda moot
    Still useful for people who don't want to jailbreak or for the next time we don't have one.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

The.Drifter (02-13-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=The.Drifter;6735746]This Tutorial will show you how to add Battery Percentage to your iPod Touch 5G on IOS 6+ without jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Could you post your homecreen wallpaper?

[QUOTE=The.Drifter;6735746]This Tutorial will show you how to add Battery Percentage to your iPod Touch 5G on IOS 6+ without jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default The.Drifter, could you show the wallpaper that you used for your homescreen?

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

Project5 (06-27-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Its broke! D:
    The first time i did it, it had an error right before it was done restoring. I tried to do it again but it kept saying error. What do i do?!

LinkBacks (?)