+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4s

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Dropped my Iphone 4s in water this past October. Immediately turned it off and had it in a baggie of rice for 3 months. In December, I turned it on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 4s
    Dropped my Iphone 4s in water this past October. Immediately turned it off and had it in a baggie of rice for 3 months.

In December, I turned it on and it seemed fine. Holds a charge, Turns on, can see the lock screen fine. However, there is zero touch. Nothing touching the screen moves or effects it.

Here in March, I decided to try my luck at opening and peering inside. Did a backup (still plugs in fine, recognized, and reads) and opened her up.

Everything inside seems okay. A few rusty brown spots. The only thing I notice odd is the screen connections (as expected since touch screen does not work). The screen has 2 connectors that push through the front of the phone and connect to the motherboard. The left one looks fine, but the right one has some white gunk. Does anyone know if I can clean that off? Or solder anything? I know a new screen won't work because where the screen connects to the motherboard is the worst part. Looks real fried.

Iphone 4s-20130301_155957.jpgIphone 4s-20130301_160051.jpgIphone 4s-20130301_160125.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 9,627 Times in 5,902 Posts

The rice method does work, but it is highly recommended that you open your device and clean the heck out it with isopropyl alcohol 99%, especially all connections. There is always residual oxidized parts left over when it dries.
    You may have some luck in cleaning it, but in my opinion, it's toast now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

soccercake7 (03-03-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks.

I've got the motherboard soaking in Isopropyl Alcohol now.

It does look toast though. Shame it's the motherboard side instead the ribbon connector side...

Thanks

Remove touch IC clean both sides, then reball. Should work.
    Making my way through...