+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Giant problem jailbreaking iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully this is the place to put this. So, I have put off upgrading my iPod touch (4th gen) for entirely too long. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Giant problem jailbreaking iOS 5
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully this is the place to put this.

So, I have put off upgrading my iPod touch (4th gen) for entirely too long. I was running 4.2.1, but lots of issues started popping up from nowhere (apps wouldn't install, etc.) so i figured might as well go with the iOS 5 semitether until the untether came out. This was my mistake, lol.

First I spent a DAY (literally) trying to back up various things. This was complicated because as I said it's been acting funny lately. Then, I finally gathered the stones to upgrade it this afternoon. I kept trying to install it, but it was stuck at the 'verifying with apple' stage for HOURS literally. I shut off iTunes (which may have been unwise, but iPod was completely usable and had only acknowledged the fact it was charging, not connected to itunes or anything), and tried from another computer. This worked. I had OS 5 up and running for a while. Then, I tried to go and jailbreak it. This brought up an icon labeled 'cydia' but it had a white icon and crashed to springboard every time I tapped it. I eventually 'Just Boot'-ed it and that solved that. BUT, this is where things get strange

Cydia was loading a bunch of stuff, so I let it be for a bit to let it do its thing. But when I came back, Cydia had (I'm assuming) crashed, and the large majority of my default iPhone icons were missing, with only YouTube, Newsstand, and a handful of others still there. And so this panicked me. I spent hours trying to find a solution to this. I tried to rejailbreak (because cydia was gone), no dice. also tried restoring, nada. After various attempts at redoing previous steps, my iPod is now stuck at the Apple logo screen. Here's the weirder part, the i can hit the Lock button on top and the screen turns on like its normally locked. hit it again, turns off, just like it's locked. but, when i try rejailbreaking/restoring/installing another version of iOS (tried reinstalling 5, also tried 4.3 for the hell of it), nothing happens.

I apologize for the giant wall of text, but I figured it was important to explain the situation, lol. If anyone has some insight as to what to do now, that would be fantastic, because I am lost and scared shitless that I just bricked this thing.

Thanks.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're stuck on the apple logo, try just booting tethered again

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    If you're stuck on the apple logo, try just booting tethered again
    You're meaning the 'Just Boot' option right? Making sure
    I tried that, same thing happened. It's not even that I'm stuck at the Apple logo...when it first boots up and I hit the Lock button it makes the Lock noise. and then i can hit it again and itll turn on but just wont do anything. It's almost as though its booting perfectly, just the Apple logo is in the way of it.

Also, because of it 'being in the way', i dont even know how to turn it off properly because i can't slide to power it off. :/
    Last edited by breatheagain1; 11-09-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks

Try entering DFU mode. Hold the home and sleep/wake button for 10 seconds. Then release the sleep/wake button and continue holding the home button for 30 seconds.
    Then try just boot tethered. Also make sure your browsing for your ipsw file. You might just want to restore, an try jailbreaking again

Also, you can use this to enter dfu: IPHODROID iPhone Android LAST DFU Beta
    Last edited by iPod; 11-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Welp.
    I managed to wiggle out of that dilemma there. Tried on another computer, restored just fine...weird.

However. I tried to install something (not sure what it was now) and i tried to hit 'respring' or whatever (which ive done several times) so i could boot it again via tether, and now im stuck at the apple logo/spinning graphic. Ive tried repeatedly 'just boot'ing, and also holding home+power buttons to reboot, and also DFU mode, nothing. More ideas?
    :S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by breatheagain1 View Post
    Welp.
    I managed to wiggle out of that dilemma there. Tried on another computer, restored just fine...weird.

However. I tried to install something (not sure what it was now) and i tried to hit 'respring' or whatever (which ive done several times) so i could boot it again via tether, and now im stuck at the apple logo/spinning graphic. Ive tried repeatedly 'just boot'ing, and also holding home+power buttons to reboot, and also DFU mode, nothing. More ideas?
    :S
    If you don't remember what you installed,and can't get into DFU mode, then I would just plugin into the computer and restore. You can use iReb to force your device into Recovery mode. Download it from ih8snow.com