+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod touch 3g major problem

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
OK so too start off with my iPod is ******. I didn't use it for about two months and it sat on my desk, occasionally got charged and then taken
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ipod touch 3g major problem
    OK so too start off with my iPod is ******. I didn't use it for about two months and it sat on my desk, occasionally got charged and then taken off and it ran outta battery and would sit there for awhile. So about a week ago I got it cause i wanted to use it and found it wouldn't turn on. So i put it on charge and it just got hot and didn't turn on or anything. I tried everything I could find to try and turn it on. Plugging into computer and holding this and that button, every method on the internet i could find. Eventually i gave up and assumed the battery was dead. So i replaced the battery and did everything right and what happens again, the same problem. So here I am asking for help, What can i do?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you perform a DFU restore to inject the iPod with a fresh version of iOS? It could be that the power management files are corrupt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have tried that but I didnt really know what I was doing. If you could provide some clear instructions on how to do it I will try again. Thanks for the reply mate.

Thanks

Absolutely. To put your device in DFU mode you need to:
    1. hold down power + home for 10 seconds.
    2. release power but continue holding home until iTunes pops up saying your device is in "recovery mode."

Once your device is in DFU mode it will have a black screen (not the screen with the USB plug and the iTunes logo). From here you simple Shift+click restore to specify a certain ipsw, or you can just click restore to update to the newest iOS version from Apple. I hope this helps!

Anthony

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just followed your instructions but I got no response. What I have done to my iPod is replaced the battery but that doesn't help at all. my iPod is unresponsive to everything. It just gets hot when I put it on charge and plugging it into the computer does nothing since the computer doesn't even pick it up. My iPods screen just stays black.

Thanks

Your iPod likely suffered hardware failure from the disruptive battery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    the symptom of "it just gets hot" sounds like a failure in the battery charging circuitry
    or the power supply bus. Or something's shorted. Probably not fixable without replacing the whole motherboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I dont believe its the battery as I replaced the battery with a brand new one.
    Thank you for that, now I atleast know what the problem is most likely. If I can replace the motherboard or that part of circuitry is there any site that I can by the replacement parts from? I'd prefer to fix it than by a new ipod as its cheaper and there's stuff I'd prefer not to lose. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by fifman; 10-02-2011 at 06:46 AM.