+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Hardware] iPod Touch 2nd Gen Battery Replacement

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Hi, when I was trying to replace my iPod Touch battery, I got through everything except the desolering part. At first, I didnt know what soldering actually was, so I
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default [Hardware] iPod Touch 2nd Gen Battery Replacement
    Hi, when I was trying to replace my iPod Touch battery, I got through everything except the desolering part. At first, I didnt know what soldering actually was, so I accidentally ripped it off. I tried to desolder, then remove the small copper wire thats left of the battery cable, but it was impossible. So I just soldered the new battery on top of the copper wire. When I try to turn it on, it stays black. When I plug it into a AC wall charger, it turns on and charges, but the moment I unplug it, it shuts off. I tried connecting it to a PC, but nothing happens.

Help?
    THANKS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Ouch. That's not good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfheje View Post
    Hi, when I was trying to replace my iPod Touch battery, I got through everything except the desolering part. At first, I didnt know what soldering actually was, so I accidentally ripped it off. I tried to desolder, then remove the small copper wire thats left of the battery cable, but it was impossible. So I just soldered the new battery on top of the copper wire. When I try to turn it on, it stays black. When I plug it into a AC wall charger, it turns on and charges, but the moment I unplug it, it shuts off. I tried connecting it to a PC, but nothing happens.

Help?
    THANKS
    Wow.
    I'm not sure what help we can offer.
    That's very, very fine and delicate work you've got,
    and an accident could easily fry the components or ruin the connectors beyond hope.

Have you followed these:
    YouTube - ‪iPod Touch Battery Replacement Repair Guide for 2nd Gen‬‏
    YouTube - ‪Ipod touch 2nd gen battery replace tutorial‬‏

Or this:
    iPod Touch 2nd Generation Battery Replacement - iFixit

questions:
    • did you use solder braid?
    • did you clean up the pads on the IPT motherboard?
    • did the new battery come with a 3-conductor ribbon cable (like the original battery did) or did you transfer the 3-conductor cable to the new battery? or did you try to run your own wires from the new battery to the motherboard?
    • what model of battery did you get? (And where'd you get it from?) That helps us to figure out just WTF is going on.
    • are you SURE the old battery was no good, when you replaced it? Some types of power problems can result from electronics failures elsewhere in the device. A bad charging circuit could have been the original reason the battery didn't seem to work before- if so, replacing batteries won't help.

afaik there is no replacement for the iPod or iPhone internal charging components as they are surface-mount devices on the MB, and not really repairable.

An example of a *good* replacement battery (with the ribbon cable already attached)
    iPod Touch Gen 2 Replacement Battery - iFixit

Edit:
    iFixit has a few more reports of people in similar straits.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/2...y+was+replaced
    bottom line: if you ripped the etched copper pads from the MB (as opposed to simply tearing the 3-conductor ribbon cable loose from the pads), you're probably hosed.

If the MIDDLE PAD (and its connection to the battery) is not working,
    it would have symptoms like the ones you're seeing now.
    Last edited by raduga; 07-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.