Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sending iPod In for Repair

Hybrid View

Question Sending iPod In for Repair
    Today I was using my iPod like normal when my battery life suddenly went from 52% to 3%. It got really hot (so hot, in fact, that I had to drop it because I was very nearly burned) and so I shut it off as quickly as possible. The shutdown took longer than normal, and the iPod remained burning hot.

I called Apple about this, and I was told that it's probably a battery problem and they'd fix it at no charge. I need to ship mine in and it was described that Apple will replace my battery and ship it back. (This was a so-called senior advisor; the first lady couldn't figure out my problem.) I planned to restore it and send it in so there would be no record of the fact that it's jailbroken.

Now, however, when I went to restore it in iTunes, I discover that my iPod will not start up at all, no matter what combination of buttons I press. Will Apple figure out that it was jailbroken and contact me to tell me that I need to pay for the service? I know Apple updates to the newest version of iOS whenever fixing software (it says so in its email), so could I get lucky with my timing that 4.3 just came out and I haven't yet updated?

EDIT: I found out that my nearest UPS Store is nearly as far away as the Apple Store, so I think I'll just bring it in in person. Would that be a better option than mailing it in?

In case it helps (or if you want to figure out what's wrong :P ):
    -iOS 4.2.1
    -jailbroken with greenpois0n rc6
    -installed and activated new Winterboard theme today (Android HD, has live wallpaper)
    Last edited by icefall5; 03-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Apple could, just come up with an excuse like my friend must have done it because I never saw it and he/she just gave it back to me right before the problem
    iPod touch 4, 4.3.3 jailbroken with redsn0w
    iPod touch 2, 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit
    hp pavilion dv6500, ubuntu 11.04, 2GHz dual core amd turion 64bit 2gb ram with nvidia graphics
    compaq presario v2000, 512 mb ram 1.8GHz amd mobile sempron, windows 7