+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get iPhone out of recovery mode

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
I have a jailbroken iPhone that would no longer be recognized by iTunes on my WinXP machine. I decided the thing to do would be to restore it to the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Can't get iPhone out of recovery mode
    I have a jailbroken iPhone that would no longer be recognized by iTunes on my WinXP machine. I decided the thing to do would be to restore it to the original factory settings. I put my phone in DFU mode and let iTunes do the restore process, but iTunes still says it can't recognize my iPhone. Now I can't get it out of DFU mode. I don't know what to do.

Please help.

Thanks

Did u follow the instructions here? How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode - ModMyi - Wiki
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, I got it out of DFU mode but it still won't connect to iTunes. Why is iTunes such garbage?

Ok ... I figured out why my phone would not sync. Windows firewall was blocking AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe. I guess I was a little harsh on iTunes. Maybe it isn't garbage.
    Last edited by zosomod; 09-03-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 9,183 Times in 5,685 Posts

^ explain how you figured that out please, it may help others.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^ explain how you figured that out please, it may help others.
    Sure.

This solution was applied on a Windows XP Pro SP3 Machine.

Apparently, in order to be able to sync your iPhone, AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe have to be running as services. So if you are getting the message that says that an iPhone has been plugged in but is not recognized you can check for these processes in the task manager.

The two files are located in "CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin". You can manually see if they are being block simply by double clicking them. Sort the processes, in the task manager alphabetically by name and look for the process that you tried to open. If it doesn't open or opens and disappears, you likely have something blocking it.

There are two thing that I can think of that would block one of these processes. One is your antivirus. You can solve that by making an exception for the blocked process. The other is Windows Firewall. This was my problem. To solve this open Windows Firewall (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall) Click the Exceptions tab. Click the Add Program button then the Browse button on the next screen to add the exe that is being blocked.

Hopefully that should fix the problem. I don't know how widespread this problem is. I couldn't find any information on the web pointing to this as a fix, but it worked like a charm for me.

blkcadi, let me know if you think I should include any more information. The thread title doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, so it might be better as it's own post. Just let me know what you want.
    Last edited by zosomod; 09-04-2009 at 10:27 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zosomod For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (09-04-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ive got the answers
    Heres a way thats a 100 times easier. Download quickpwn 2.2 it can recognize your phone in recovery mode Download Taxi.com - Downloading iPhoneTutorialz - QuickPwn.exe

Plug your phone in follow the prompt that tells you to turn off the phone and when you hold the power button to turn it on, presto, out of recovery mode. Takes a whole minute and a half.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@zosomod. Good info. Please note, that under normal circumstances is not necessary modify Windows XP SP3 Firewall settings. The exceptions are added during installation and works as advertised. Many 3rd party firewall/antivirus/anti-everything applications are available for XP. Each 3rd party app handles firewall setup slightly differently.