+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace your own iPod battery

is a discussion within the

iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
As we all know, iPod batteries, as with all batteries, will eventually reach their expected life and will not charge to full capacity. Most people say that within 300 full
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Replace your own iPod battery
    As we all know, iPod batteries, as with all batteries, will eventually reach their expected life and will not charge to full capacity. Most people say that within 300 full charges/discharges, the battery will be at around 80%

But instead of paying Apple a bundle of cash for an out-of-warranty repair, you can do it yourself. (see Apple - Support - iPod - Repair pricing for apple's prices)

You can get batteries yourself for $20 or less on eBay or various other sites; just search Google!

Once you've got your battery, this site has some GREAT tutorials!: ifixipodsfast.com iPod How To Video Tutorials
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Thanks

Yes, that is a great site. I have used a tutorial from them to change the battery in my older gen ipod.
    Your thread reminded me of another great site for info on repairing and upgrading not only ipods, but apple hardware in general. If you need help tinkering with your apple products, check em out.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/directory.html
    You can watch video tutorials or if you feel uneasy about doing the repairs yourself, you can send your hardware to them and they will do it for you... for a fee of course. lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mreyn3693 For This Useful Post:

ksong12 (09-03-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's a pretty neat site! Thanks for the heads up!
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

iPhone? More like MyPhone agentfubu's Avatar
    Thanks

I've used ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/) to repair at least 3 iPhones now as well as 2 iPods. And with the new 3G battery I'm sure I'll be using it soon again.

The only complaint I had was the plastic tools broke too easy, but that's desirable as to not scratch the device. I ended up using a food scraper from my kitchen :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Batteries are super cheap at dealextreme.com (hello free shipping I love hong kong)

I attempted to fix an ipod that my friend found in her yard after oh, 10000 inches of snow melted. Changed the battery and it was recognized by the computer, but I think the hd is corrupted since I couldn't restore it in itunes. Oh well. I didn't expect anything to work on it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agentfubu View Post
    The only complaint I had was the plastic tools broke too easy, but that's desirable as to not scratch the device. I ended up using a food scraper from my kitchen :P
    I think they purposely design those plastic tools to get dull/break after one use...when I opened up my nano I used both tools that I was sent, and when I had to open my iPhone I must have used at least two sets.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

the idea is, if the tools get used too much, they could (in theory) pickup dust or dirt or tiny metal shavings from improper storage, and then they would scratch your shiny new iphone/ipod the next time you used it.

at least, that's MY idea

pry