Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 4G Stuck in Boot Loop with Broken Home Button

Default iPod Touch 4G Stuck in Boot Loop with Broken Home Button
    Okay, so last night I tried updating my jailbroken iTouch 4 with iOS 5.0.1 to iOS 6.1. But after the process it went into a boot loop (Apple logo comes up, screen goes black, then apple logo come back up again). I have already scoured the internet for solutions, like:

Draining the battery, plugging it into the computer then holding the power button = just keeps on looping

RecBoot, TinyUmbrella, iREB and other programs that can put you into recovery mode = doesn't get recognized

blackra1n = just sits on the waiting for device screen

The "Volume Up" trick = also just keeps on looping

and simply plugging it into the computer and hoping iTunes would recognize it = nothing

So is my iDevice bricked for good? I can't send this in for warranty because I just bought this in second-hand condition and it has already been more than a year.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Co1, I could have told the same story when upgrading from 5.0.1 to 6.0 on my 4th gen iPod Touch. You have to have some patience when doing it, but literally holding home and power when it is looping is the only way to stop it (eventually) When you have the apple logo up, you can hold the two, and occasionally, the screen will stay off. Once you get it to stay off, you can hold the home button down, and connect your iPod to iTunes to restore. Restoring to iOS 6.1 once you have done this should not result in a failure. Hope this helps.

I can't do that since my home button's broken.

Default Same deal
    I just updated from 5.1.1 to 6.1 an hour ago. I tried everything Col said, and i'm out of warrent and my Home button is broken too. Any help would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Co1 View Post
    I can't do that since my home button's broken.
    I probably shouldn't have replied when I was half asleep. Oops. Have you tried using a dev version of redsn0w? Whenever I boot my iPod, I have to use the boot button in redsn0w to use it, it also says it can get your device out of a boot loop.

Default Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by blb9556 View Post
    I probably shouldn't have replied when I was half asleep. Oops. Have you tried using a dev version of redsn0w? Whenever I boot my iPod, I have to use the boot button in redsn0w to use it, it also says it can get your device out of a boot loop.

If you are speaking about 'Recovery Fix', that requires DFU mode, which can't be activated without use of the home button, in which is broken on @OP's iDevice.

Answered on behalf of myself, and @OP

What do you mean by "boot button"? Is it the "Just Boot"?

Quote Originally Posted by Co1 View Post
    What do you mean by "boot button"? Is it the "Just Boot"?
    Yes, when you click it, it will say it can get a device out of an endless boot

It just said "No Device Detected"

Default Not as planned
    I managed to rejailbreak my iPod Touch, even with the broken home button.
    If you blow hard, then light (Like a flute) for a while on the button, then suck hard, then light, for a bit over a minute, it temporarily should unblocked your home button. Try booting it to DFU mode while plugged into Just Boot like normal, with your shoft-life home button.
    It jailbroke mine, but now it's telling me to connect to iTunes. Not in a loop, not sure if it will restore or not (Another problem personally for my iPod ever since befroe I jailbroke it, I can't update it), and unfortunately iTunes makes you update if you restore.
    Worth a go, I guess.

It didn't work.
    Will that trick work if the home button sunk in?

It would be of much appreciated if someone can help issue is very simple but very complicated to fix, Ipod 4g, ios 6.1 jailbroken with evasi0n now stuck on boot loop and broken power button and has password, itunes wont allow restore due to password and i cant change it cause its in boot loop, please can someone please help me?

Quote Originally Posted by ericrdzmtz View Post
    It would be of much appreciated if someone can help issue is very simple but very complicated to fix, Ipod 4g, ios 6.1 jailbroken with evasi0n now stuck on boot loop and broken power button and has password, itunes wont allow restore due to password and i cant change it cause its in boot loop, please can someone please help me?
    Unless you can get it to turn off and hold home to force the device into recovery mode, there isn't a lot you can do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wargasmtornado's Avatar
    Thanks

Redsn0w has something in it that takes care of broken home buttons (not sure if its been updated to work with 6x)
    ipod 4G,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    iphone 4,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    i really,really hate using Winterboard

Today I took the time into taking my iPod apart to fix the Power button, Had a time with that, Factory glue can be a pain.

Well To save everyone the hassle on paying someone to fix the power button I'm going to give you the run-down on How to fix it yourself.

(Will add photos as soon as I have them ready)

1. Heat the edges with a heat gun or blow dryer, being carful to not heat 1 spot for to long. Gradually going around the device.

2. Begin to place a plastic piece in the side of the device till it slips into the crevasse.

3. Slowly going around the device prying upwards the screen carefully not to damage it .

4. Remove all 12-13 screws

5. Carefully pry up the silver sheeting that protect the motherboard.

6. On the top left side of the device you will have to carefully peel off the WIFI loom from the back of the screen and also beside the camera the loom that connects the screen will also have to be removed.

7. Next, Behind the power button there are two (2) screws on on the left side and the other on the right underneath the loom. Be carful pulling it back to get to the screw.

8. Remove screws.

9. Power button should be loose and easy to pull back. Place a bead of SUPER GLUE onto he center of the button that gets pushed. (LET DRY)

10. You should now have a small hard Bead that will allow contact to the bottom of the BLACK button when pressed to power on iDevice.

11. Begin to replace all parts to it's original state.

12. Power on iDevice.

13. CONGRADULATIONS You fixed your iDevice Power Button and saved Money.

Again I will upload pictures for in depths instructions when my laptop is fixed.

ok, i think i got a similar problem yet feel quite 'nooby' atm as i cant make a thread myself, after respringing to set a new slider theme, and it just stays on the apple logo, until it dies and then once i charge it, it just goes back to the apple logo... and doesnt go. any help??

itunes syncs to the ipod, and music can be added. But the screen does nothing? Just the apple logo
    Last edited by DIRTY_STINKIN_BASS; 03-17-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add more info

Thanks

RedSn0w has an "DFU IPSW" function, very useful in that special cases.
    Making my way through...