Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need some help with iPod Touch 4th Gen running 5.1.1

Default Need some help with iPod Touch 4th Gen running 5.1.1
    Ok, this isn't my iPod, it is a friends. I recently jailbroke it for them, and it was fine and dandy for a few months. I'm not sure what they did to it, but for some reason the iPod cannot be detected on the computer, wether you look at device manager, windows explorer, or iTunes. I've tried to update the software and undo the jailbreak via wifi, no dice, there is always an error that occurs. I tried to reset all settings and erase all data, but it stays on the rotating pinwheel for days. I put it in DFU mode and recovery mode, still no dice. I have run out of options and think all hope is lost. Anyone know of a way to get this sucker updated and get rid of the jailbreak?

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,972 Times in 6,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yoshikid View Post
    Ok, this isn't my iPod, it is a friends. I recently jailbroke it for them, and it was fine and dandy for a few months. I'm not sure what they did to it, but for some reason the iPod cannot be detected on the computer, wether you look at device manager, windows explorer, or iTunes. I've tried to update the software and undo the jailbreak via wifi, no dice, there is always an error that occurs. I tried to reset all settings and erase all data, but it stays on the rotating pinwheel for days. I put it in DFU mode and recovery mode, still no dice. I have run out of options and think all hope is lost. Anyone know of a way to get this sucker updated and get rid of the jailbreak?
    Never update a jail broken device using OTA without removing the jailbreak first.

Never do a "reset" on a jail broken device either.

That being said, just look through the jail breaking threads and there are plenty of solutions to try there.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

yoshikid (10-28-2012)

Ok that's good information to have for the future, thanks! Now is the jailbreaking thread the one this post is in or is it another thread?

Thanks

Go to the main page and look under "Jailbreak Guides"
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Those jailbreak guides are not helping with my current problem. If the iPod showed up at all on the computer it would make it easier for sure, but it only charges when i plug it in. What can i do on the iPod to make it show up on the computer, whether its windows explorer as a hard drive/ digital camera, or iTunes.

You could try a tethered boot with redsn0w or a exit recovery with tinyumbrella. Just remember that it is basacly impossable to permanatly brick an idevice short of throwing at a wall. There is almost (99.9%) always a way out, and people with far more messed up ipods have fixed them. dont give up hope.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kundy For This Useful Post:

yoshikid (11-23-2012)

Well i tried booting it to tethered, but it didn't work because the ipod couldn't be detected. There are a few apps i cannot open on the ipod, cydia being one of them. I'm not sure what i can do to get the ipod detected onto the computer, that's really all i need and then i can takeoff the jailbreak. What's next?

Well i tried booting it to tethered, but it didn't work because the ipod couldn't be detected. There are a few apps i cannot open on the ipod, cydia being one of them. I'm not sure what i can do to get the ipod detected onto the computer, that's really all i need and then i can takeoff the jailbreak. What's next?
    It sounds like that your ipod is working, just not being detected. You can try another computer, or un install and reinstall itunes and that should work, and or update to their newest rednow to restore without itunes. Do not restore from there device, it almost, always ends up bad with a jailbreak, but can, be fixed. If this doesn't work post or reply what happened so we can troubleshoot. Thanks

Also try a different cable or port, that can help.

Well I've tried another computer, reinstalled itunes, tried all my usb ports, and it isnt being detected in redsnow to do a restore. My iphone is jailbroken on the same firmware and hasn't had any problems before. What's next? Oh if it helps the ipod charges when connected to the usb port.

Well I've tried another computer, reinstalled itunes, tried all my usb ports, and it isnt being detected in redsnow to do a restore. My iphone is jailbroken on the same firmware and hasn't had any problems before. What's next? Oh if it helps the ipod charges when connected to the usb port.
    Hmmmm, this is weird. You could try putting it in dfu mode and restoring with either that way, try doing a hard reset, or seeing if you can detect it in tiny umbrella and kick it into recovery that way. What ipod touch are you using?

Well dfu mode brings it to the iTunes recovery screen correct? Cause that never happens, it will turn on the iPod, turn it off, and sit at a black screen until I hold power and home together for 20 seconds. How would I do a hard reset? Tiny umbrella will automatically detect the iPod right? If not how do I get it to, cause it isn't there. it's an iPod touch 4th gen running 5.1.1.

Heres some more info. I try to put it in DFU mode, but it hard resets, won't go into DFU mode. I tried using redsnow, iREB, and tinyumbrella. Let me know!

=yoshikid;6719064]Well dfu mode brings it to the iTunes recovery screen correct? Cause that never happens, it will turn on the iPod, turn it off, and sit at a black screen until I hold power and home together for 20 seconds. How would I do a hard reset? Tiny umbrella will automatically detect the iPod right? If not how do I get it to, cause it isn't there. it's an iPod touch 4th gen running 5.1.1.
    Restore mode is when it has the connect o itunes logo, dfu is when it has a black screen and won't turn on, and is commonly mistaken for a bricked device. Dfu mode is like restore mode but with the ability to execute code and jump from major versions, instead of upgrading to each one. Ex ios 3 to ios 5 in dfu mode. A hard reset clear s out the ram (and cache?) to troubleshoot misbehaving back rounding apps. If your iPod is working but unable to be detected it must be a hardware problem. Try someone elses mac (your on windows?) and that may help, with itunes just running better on a mac. Also clean out any ports with computer air spray, I'm guessing that the solution is going to be stupidly simple when one of us gets it.

Gotcha on all the info. I'm looking for someone with a mac to try that out, but the air spray didnt work. I do have a windows computer. Could it have been something downloaded from cydia to cause this?

Well I went and used my friends Mac. I plugged the iPod into the computer, no detection. I put it in dfu mode, and also did a hard reset, still no detection. If its a hardware issue like you said it could be, how could that have happened? It still charges the iPod when plugged into the computer, but cydia, safari, and other apps still don't open.

Thanks

I'm gonna throw out something stupid here, but have you tried a different cable? Sorry if you already stated this.

Yeah tried a totally different cable, 3 computers, dfu mode, hard reset, 10+ usb ports. Nothing yet...

Thanks

I figured, but had to ask. It looks like it is hardware.

Well if it is hardware, what options do i have? Also what could have caused such a thing?