Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ipod touch 4th gen battery replacement help...

Default ipod touch 4th gen battery replacement help...
    I have replaced ipod touch 1,2,3 gen batteries however I finally got a ipod touch 4th gen and have not been able to replace it successfully.

When I solder the connectors, the bottom of the logicboard immediately starts to get hot.

I quickly desolder the cable to the battery and check to make sure the contacts are not bridge.

The ipod touch is able to power on and function without the battery while attached to the usb charger.

Is this battery bad? What causes this?

Thank you.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, I would not have tried to fix your iPod yourself. At this point I would contact iFixit and see if they can fix it for you

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

that doesn't help me at all.

thank you for being UNHELPFUL

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank YOU for reporting me . I gave you great advice to contact ifixit, and that you shouldn't have messed with your iPod. Guess that's unhelpful
    Lol

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm monitoring this thread now. Let's be civil now.

On topic: getting a professional to fix your device is a plausible suggestion. It may not be what you want to hear, but it's not necessarily bad advice. I would suggest contacting Cowboy if you get the chance. He's pretty good with this hardware stuff. He might know what's wrong with it.

Edit: and yes it sounds like the battery is the problem. Or what is connecting the battery to the device may be bad. If it works with an external power source, the problem as you isolated seems to be the battery or the connector having to do with the battery.

I was merely looking for any tips or suggestions not for someone to tell me to not attempt any repairs by myself. I have checked out ifixit.com before posting here.

The ipod was only $20 dollars and the battery was already dead. The warranty has expired, why should I give $100 for apple to replace the battery when I could just buy another new ipod? I just wanted to attempt a battery replacement and this is what happen only to be told that I should not repair or messed with my ipod.

Clearly this forum for iPod Service, Warranties, and Repairs is not to discuss about fixing your broken ipod since all I got was a reply back to do not attempt to repair it yourself, seek help else where.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Firstly, I understand you were looking for a response more suitable for what you want. Secondly, I did just that. In fact, I pointed you in the right direction to one of our mods who is fairly skilled with hardware questions.

I'm not quite understanding what you're still upset about.

Galloway, if case temp is normal with the inverter attached, there seems to little doubt the battery is being placed under heavy load when attached to the phone. If you want to test the battery, here's how you do it.

Remove the battery from the phone and attach a 50 ohm 5 watt resistor across the + and - terminal of the battery. Measure the voltage across the resistor over a 30 min period, the voltage should remain constant during this time. At the same time, measure the current, which should also remain constant. If either drop more than 20%, the battery or the battery protection circuit is defective, otherwise you can eliminate suspecting the battery and focus on a short at the battery connection to the phone.

Hope this helps.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to X242 For This Useful Post:

galloway (05-24-2012), i.Annie (05-21-2012)