+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: A weird idea

is a discussion within the

iPod OS X

forums, a part of the

iPod Computer Software

section;
would it be possible to dual-boot the iPod Touch OS on to my laptop? it is an operating system after all
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default A weird idea
    would it be possible to dual-boot the iPod Touch OS on to my laptop? it is an operating system after all

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 123 Times in 101 Posts

    Lol why would you want to? You can use vnc to make your idevice comeup on the screen.. Like in it's own program, but not booting straight from the os..
    Main reasons being iOS won't be compatible with the cpu, hard disk, flash memory.. Basically everything on your computer will be incompatible

    iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

  3. #3
    apatia z3r01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,698
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 886 Times in 557 Posts

    No u can't...but if u like it so much just wait for lion
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    VNC loads from the touch, i'd want to be able to have my 300GB, faster ram, the camera function linked to my webcam, etc etc.

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    All things design and media including themes/skins, questions about media like ringtones and video, along with some wallpaper thrown in.

  6. #6
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Protokyuubi View Post
    VNC loads from the touch, i'd want to be able to have my 300GB, faster ram, the camera function linked to my webcam, etc etc.
    You simply can't load iPod OS on your computer. Simple. The iOS is not meant to go on a computer, It's meant to go on a device that can support the functionalities embedded within the iOS software (Coding) The OS itself would almost have to be completely re-coded in order for it to even load up on your computer. It's almost impossible.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    You simply can't load iPod OS on your computer. Simple. The iOS is not meant to go on a computer, It's meant to go on a device that can support the functionalities embedded within the iOS software (Coding) The OS itself would almost have to be completely re-coded in order for it to even load up on your computer. It's almost impossible.
    Then again, so was dual boot with Android-x86, and that worked out fine.
    You would be shocked at what i know

  8. #8
    Livin the i raduga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkzero View Post
    Then again, so was dual boot with Android-x86, and that worked out fine.
    Android is an open-source operating system based on Linux (a fully open, GPL'd OS).
    Porting it to x86 (or any CPU of your choice) is not a big challenge, since Google makes all the core system freely available.

    iOS is is a closed-source operating system based on Darwin (a partly open, ASPL'd OS).
    Porting it to x86 (or anything else) will not happen without the source, which Apple has no incentive to release.

    See the difference?

  9. #9
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Apple likes to have control over their stuff They will most likely never make it open source.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Android is an open-source operating system based on Linux (a fully open, GPL'd OS).
    Porting it to x86 (or any CPU of your choice) is not a big challenge, since Google makes all the core system freely available.

    iOS is is a closed-source operating system based on Darwin (a partly open, ASPL'd OS).
    Porting it to x86 (or anything else) will not happen without the source, which Apple has no incentive to release.

    See the difference?
    still, there is always some hacker who will give it to the public. it may take a while, but it will happen eventually.

  11. #11
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Eventually, possibly. Apple would probably sue them to death for something.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  12. #12
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    Eventually, possibly. Apple would probably sue them to death for something.
    Very true. Unless it was a worker who gave it away in secret.
    You would be shocked at what i know

  13. #13
    Livin the i raduga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkzero View Post
    still, there is always some hacker who will give it to the public. it may take a while, but it will happen eventually.
    Always?

    People who steal and "leak" commercial source code tend to spend years in jail. That's the industry norm.
    Apple comes down pretty savagely on people who make much more innocent errors.

    The Carrot isn't big enough, but the Stick is pretty huge.

    BTW, this isn't how ports (or leaks) work.

  14. #14
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Still, we all know Apple would sue you for it. I'm sure nobody is willing to go to jail over a freaking source code.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Always?

    People who steal and "leak" commercial source code tend to spend years in jail. That's the industry norm.
    Apple comes down pretty savagely on people who make much more innocent errors.

    The Carrot isn't big enough, but the Stick is pretty huge.

    BTW, this isn't how ports (or leaks) work.
    I really don't think Apple will hang on to the source code for a stupid 2g ipod touch. It would be pointless.
    You would be shocked at what i know

  16. #16
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    that's a valid point, but some people have bad intentions with source codes...
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    that's a valid point, but some people have bad intentions with source codes...
    Which would those intentions be? There are only so many things you can do with a source code. You mean somebody may mod it or something? That wouldn't actually be that bad.
    You would be shocked at what i know

  18. #18
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    I never said someone would, I just mean that they COULD have bad intentions.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  19. #19
    What's Jailbreak? thedarkzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    I never said someone would, I just mean that they COULD have bad intentions.
    Ah, I see. Still, Apple can't stay stubborn forever.
    You would be shocked at what i know

  20. #20
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkzero View Post
    Ah, I see. Still, Apple can't stay stubborn forever.
    You know they will They do business the Steve Jobs way.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts